The Wandmaker's Granddaugher Doesn't Know What to Do

After the party and excitement of the day it was no surprise that Amelia couldn't fall asleep.  She lay under the fluffy maroon covers without a prayer of sleep finding her and she knew that.  Eventually, once everyone else had fallen asleep, she got up and snuck out of the room with her transfiguration book, a cup, and her wand. 

Amelia quietly tiptoed down the stairs to the common room trying her best to be quiet while also not falling down the stairs.  She reached the bottom of the stairs and looked up to find James sitting by the window crying.  

He hadn't noticed Amelia enter and she stood frozen unsure whether she aught to go back upstairs and pretend she saw nothing or go and try to comfort him.  Without any courage in her decision at all Amelia took a few, extremely small, timid steps forward towards James.

"Are you alright?" she managed to whisper out.  If the room had had even one other person in it her voice would have been lost.  In the silence of the night thought, James heard her and turned to face her wiping his face clean in a hurry.  

"What are you talking about?" he asked in a warbled tone.

"You're crying," Amelia said quietly but with a bit more strength than before.

"No I'm not," James said scoffing and moving to go back to the boys' dorm room.

"If you need to talk I . . ." Amelia said softly being cut of as James brushed passed her.  

Amelia thought for a moment before turning and saying "You did a good job today."

James stopped and quietly said "You don't have to lie to me."

"It's not a lie," Amelia said in an almost inaudible whisper to herself.

"Good night," James said walking up the stairs leaving Amelia standing alone.