The Wandmaker's Granddaughter is Bored

Amelia sat in bed making the bed covers flutter through the air. Three days in the infirmary had driven her close to insanity and if her friends hadn't been allowed to come every day she would have completely lost it. Until they came, though, she was left alone to her own devices, which just so happened to include a magic wand.

"Amelia Ollivander, stop turning my clean sheets into flying projectiles," Mrs. Longbottom yelled across the room. Amelia looked at her before slowly, as slowly as a bored child could, she lowered the sheets back onto the bed beside her's.

"Well if you just let me go to the dueling championship tonight I wouldn't be so bored," Amelia sulked.

"You still can't even walk, how do you expect to get there?" Mrs. Longbottom asked.

"Magic," Amelia grumbled.

"You can't solve all your problems with magic."

"Why not?"

"That's not how magic works."

"I should write a book, it would be called Practical Magic for the Bored and Useless."

"If you start now you'll be busy all night."

Amelia glared at her across the room. Suddenly a blanket flew threw the air and hit Mrs. Longbottom in the head.

"Amelia Ollivander!"

"I just want to go watch. What's the harm in just watching?"

Amelia and Mrs. Longbottom stared at each other, one pleadingly, the other unrelentingly. Eventually Mrs. Longbottom sighed.

"I suppose if I go with you, you can use the old wheel chair in the cupboard."

"Thank you thank you thank you thank you. If I could stand I would hug you."

"But if you hit me with another blanket I'm gonna keep you here until the end of the semester."

Amelia smiled.