The Wandmaker's Granddaughter Teaches a Lesson

Crisp, clear air greeted the bright blue sky the next morning.  A fresh blanket of snow lay blanketing the castle grounds in a blinding white blanket.  The warm fire crackled throughout the silent common room as Amelia and James each  slept huddled in there own big cozy arm chair.

The soft hoot of an owl mixed with the lulling sound of the fire as Amelia began to stir in the chair. Her eyes slowly fluttered open as she tried to remember where she was. Light tapping on the glass of the window drew Amelia's attention to the blinding white light where a beautiful barn owl sat watching her. He had light brown feathers the color of milk coffee and a heart shaped face.

Amelia stood and opened the window to let the owl in. A cold bluster of wind blew through the otherwise warm room. The wind hit James across the room. He burrowed down deeper into the chair trying to fight the cold in his half sleeping state.

The owl jumped inside allowing Amelia to shut the window tight before offering his leg to her. She took the letter that was secured around his little leg before giving him a brush on the head.

"What's that?" James said still not fully awake.

"My owl," Amelia said reading the letter.

"You have an owl?" James asked not moving from where he sat still curled in a ball.

"His name is Rowan," Amelia said leaving Rowan to warm up by the window as she began to read the letter.

Dear Amelia,

I'm sorry we couldn't invite you for Christmas.  I remember how lonely those Christmas feasts can be all alone at Gryffindor table.  Next year your more than welcome to come and join us.  As James probably told you, we're in Romania visiting family but as soon as we get back I'll check in on Ollivander to see what he's been up to.

Please keep James out of trouble for us and Lucy too while your at it.  We'll be in touch soon.

With love,
Harry and Ginny

Amelia smiled as a feeling of belonging washed over her. She looked over at James who had nodded back off with his face pressed against the arm of the chair. Carefully folding the letter back into it's original shape, Amelia made her way up to the dorm room and packed the letter away to read again later.

James was still sound asleep when Amelia came back down to the common room having changed for dueling practice. Rowan sat on the edge of the other armchair across from James warming his feathers.

Amelia walked over to the window where Rowan begrudgingly flew away into another cold blast of wind.

"Stop opening the window," James complained groggily.

"Sorry," Amelia said locking the window tight. "I'm going to practice."

"Already?" James asked truly opening his eyes for the first time that morning.

"Are you going to come too?" Amelia asked pulling her bag over her shoulder.

James closed his eyes and for a moment Amelia thought he was going to fall asleep again. A huge sigh escaped his chest as he opened his eyes again.

"Wait for me."

"Good morning headmistress," Amelia said entering the dueling room with James close in tow.

"Good morning Ms. Ollivander.  I see you've found a stray Potter on your way this morning," Headmistress McGonaggal said sipping her tea with this morning's Daily Prophet in hand. 

"I promised James I'd help him with sparing," Amelia said going to put her bag away.

"And does Mr. Anumon know?" The headmistress asked.

"Ummm . . ." Amelia said pulling her wand out and inspecting it for absolutely no reason.

"Nero's coming?" James asked contemptuously.

"I'm going to start warming up," Amelia said hurrying towards the dummies pilled in the corner.

"Headmistress, if I miss fire and hit someone, would it be considered to be an accident?" James asked watching Amelia cross the room.

"Are you planning on attacking Mr. Anumon?" She asked.

"No, someone who's already in the room," James said as Amelia waved him over to the dummies and they could begin practicing.