The Wandmaker's Granddaughter Disapears

The final Quidditch match of the year fell just days before the Final Dueling Championship. All day Amelia forced James to practice relentlessly.

Sweat poured down both of their faces as attacks and shields collided violently in cascading showers of sparks. James had improved well over the last several months. He was becoming a force, almost matching Amelia in accuracy and speed, almost.

"Time," Professor Longbottom called. Amelia and James stopped, bowed, and stepped off the stage, giving space for others to practice. Wiping the sweat from their brows Amelia and James made their way over to the lockers.

"Are you coming to the Quidditch match?" James asked taking a long drink of water.

"No, I'll just stay here and practice," Amelia said. James shut his locker and looked at Amelia as if she had two heads.

"It's the last game fo the year, you have to come," James said grabbing Amelia's bag out of her locker and shutting it.

"It's just Quidditch, you'll tell me how it ends tomorrow," Amelia said trying to snatch her bag away from James.

"Just Quidditch? Just Quidditch! You act like it's not the single greatest invention in wizarding history," James said dancing out of Amelia's grasp.

"You know I don't like flying," Amelia sighed giving up on the bag.

"You don't have to ride the brooms, just watch them," James said throwing Amelia's bag and his own over his shoulder.

"Will you give me my bag back if I say yes?" Amelia said following James out of the room, for her bag more than anything else.

"Maybe," he said before running back to the tower forcing Amelia to chase after him.

James had succeeded in getting Amelia to the Quidditch match. What he had failed in was separating her from her books. She sat amongst the crowd of screaming spectators glued to her third year transfiguration text book.

"Is she serious?" James shouted to Lucy over the roar of the crowd. Lucy turned to Amelia and smiled before snatching the book out of her hands.

"Hey!" Amelia yelled, though her protest was lost in the noise of another close call on the field.

"There's a Quidditch match, in case you've forgotten," Lucy said pulling Amelia to her feet. 

The players flew in blurring stricken of blue and red.  First one was ahead then the next.  The Gryffindor seeker flew overhead to the cheers and hollers of his fellow housemates.  A bludger flew wizzing just past his head from the Ravenclaw beater.  Boos and hisses filled the air of the Gryffindor cheering section as the Ravenclaw team scored another goal leaving the Gryffindor Team sadly behind.

Not that it wasn't expected.  The Gryffindor Team been good for almost an entire generation.  After winning so many Quidditch cups in the nineties the team lost ever good player and had to start again from scratch.  They have come close to winning but to no avail.

When Ravenclaw won in a crushing defeat it wasn't surprising to anyone.  Amelia managed to get her book back by the end of the game and finish reading about Animagi before the final bell was rung. 

"I can't believe we lost by four hundred points," James sulked as he, Amelia, and Lucy made their way through the crowd out of the stadium.  A shout from behind them made James pause.  The three turned to see Teddy Lupin, blue hair a blaze, weaving his way to James. 

"Glad I caught up to you," he huffed, a great smile spread across his face.  "Hagrid's waiting for you, says he's got a surprise to show you."

"What sort of surprise?" James asked.

"Don't know, didn't ask," Teddy said.  "But you should hurry, curfew will start soon."

"Okay, let's go," Lucy said grabbing Amelia's hand.  James rushed to catch up looking back at Teddy.

"Thank you," he yelled over the crowd as they wove through the people headed towards the castle.  Soon the three emerged into the darkness, the lights of the stadium and castle behind them.  The only thing leading them forward through the sea of darkness was the dim lights of Hagrid's hut on the edge of the Forbidden Forest.  They hurried through the grass laughing with the thought of whatever Hagrid had to show them. 

A rustle from behind drew Amelia's attention away from Hagrid's hut for a moment.  Pulling out of Lucy's grasp, Amelia stopped to look back.  A dark figure shifted in the darkness.  Watching them.  Lucy and James noticed Amelia's hesitation and turned to where she was.

"What's wrong?" Lucy asked from where she stood several steps away.

"I think there's someone watching us," Amelia said trying to get a better look in the dark.  Fumbling a bit she pulled her wand from her robes but before she could light the path something touched Amelia's ankle.  She looked down but before she could make out the vine wrapping around her Amelia was pulled to the ground. 

Lucy and James yelled after her as the vine pulled her full speed into the woods.