Chapter Five (Picture of Nina)

Small, panted breaths escaped my lips as I ran. i forced my small, underdeveloped muscles over the limit. All I could think was that I couldn't let him catch up to me, I just couldn't. If I did, God only knows what'll happen to me.

        I tried to lose him by taking as many sharp turns as possible in the forest. The dead leaves crunched under my small feet and I heard more crunching of leaves behind me as he gained in on me.

        I forced my little body to move faster. I was drenched in sweat from both fear and the length of time  I'd been running.

         I had been playing on my own near the forest, but not quite in it. My family and I were on a camping trip and I was so excited for it, but my excitement disappeared when I saw a man looking at me. He kept stepping closer to me and before long, fear had me running into the woods to try and escape him. That turned out to be the worst idea because he was now chasing me. 

        My rapid steps soon turned sluggish and unintentionally I started to slow down. There was only so much my four year-old body could take before it collapsed.

        I quickly hid behind a tree and pressed my back to the bark of the tree. I then closed my palm over my mouth to hold in the shaky pants that were trying to escape.

        For a moment, there was complete silence, until his chilling voice filled the open air.

        "Come out, come out, where ever you are. It's okay, I just wanna play, darling. I just wanna make you feel good," he voiced out tauntingly. I held in a sob as tremors overtook my body.

        My hand started to shake violently against my face as I screwed my eyes shut. After a few seconds of intense silence, I finally heard leaves crunching, they sounded close.

        Pressing both of my hands to my mouth, I snapped my eyes open when I heard a twig snap right behind the tree I was using as my hiding spot. 

        My entire body froze and my breathing stopped. There was a moment of silence before I experienced the most terrifying experience of my life.

                                                        *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* 

        I woke up in a cold sweat, breathing heavily. I had this dream often and every time I would wake up shaking violently and sweating.

        Although I was sweating, I was cold at the same time and pulled the fluffy blankets on my bed tighter around me. I snuggled deeper into my blanket and forced myself to fall back to sleep, even though I was afraid of what I would find.

                                                          *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

        "Honey wake up, you'll be late of you don't," I heard my mother's soothing voice, but all I could force out was a light groan.

        "Tu estás bien?" my mother said in her native language as she pressed a hand to my forehead and rushed out of my room. She returned a few minutes later and forced something into my mouth. I still had my eyes closed as I didn't have the effort to peel them open.

        Several seconds later, a beep was heard and whatever was in my mouth was pulled out. My mother clicked her tongue and forced my tightly clutched blankets a bit lower before standing up.

        "You have a fever. Estás enferma. You won't be going to school today. I'll take care of you," she rushed out before heading out the door.

        I mentally groaned. This was because of Jared. If he hadn't kept me waiting, I wouldn't be sick right now. I'd be at school doing our project that we haven't even started on and that worried me. I'm very focused on my grades in school and I wish to excel in each and every one of my classes. And not starting on my project two days after it was given to me is most definitely not a normal occurrence for me. In fact, it was a delay that I wish to make up for.

        My mother returned with medicine and a light breakfast consisting of two pieces of toast with jelly smothered on top and a glass of water.

        I didn't finish all of it because sleepiness overpowered my body and I fell into a dreamless sleep soon after.

        A couple hours later, my mother woke me up to give me my lunch. What filled my nostrils was soup. Although any other day I would've gobbled down my mother's homemade soup in one swallow, today in my ill daze, I ate merely half of the soup served to me. I greedily gulped down my cold glass of water though.

        I cursed Jared mentally for the umpteenth time today.

        What he did yesterday only proved that he really was what he was rumoured to be.

        A cold, heartless boy with no emotions. He didn't care about anyone, so why did I think he would care about me?

        I was so stupid to believe that he would actually care. I rolled my dark brown eyes at my own foolishness.

        I was stupid trash that needed to stop believing in fairy tales because they aren't real and will never be real.

        There would be no Prince Charming coming to save me any day soon.

                                                *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

        Hello readers. I would like to dedicate this chapter to @FeelingTheVibes for being the first to comment and vote. Thank you so much! Your comments and votes are greatly appreciated!

Spanish words and their definitions are:

Tu estás bien?: Are you okay/ alright?

Estás enferma: you're sick

Please comment what you all thought of this chapter and if you'd like to read more.:) thank you.