Chapter 9

Ace pushed me back lightly before we turned the corner. He put his finger up to his lips and I nodded, listening to the voices coming from the hallway to our left.

"Who is it?" A woman asked and I immediately recognized the voice as Ms. Barnes, the one who seemed to be in charge here.

"274. Antonio Garza. His father has money." I heard another voice say making my face scrunch up.

"You know what to do. Take care of it before it gets out of hand." She hissed and I looked up to Ace to see a slight crease in between his brows.

"-little sister." I heard, missing the first part of the sentence.

"Her too. Take care of it. I don't want any loose ends. This conversation is over." Ms. Barnes finished off before I heard her heals clicking against the flooring, quickly approaching us. Ace nodded his head and continued walking, me quickly doing the same. Ms. Barnes glanced at us briefly before continuing down the way that we came. Ace and I continued back to our room in silence and when we stepped in I looked to him.

"What was that about?" I asked and he looked to the ground, the crease between his brows coming back.

"I don't know." He said and I slowly nodded.

The rest of the night we stayed in the room, both doing our own thing until it was lights out, although I think it was about 1 in the morning when I finally fell asleep, my mind just not wanting to shut down.

What was she talking about?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3 days later, we were in the dining hall for breakfast. I settled down into my seat at the table and pulled my sleeves down my hands, my fingers still icy.

"Are you cold?" Logan asked and I nodded.

"I'm freezing and all my hoodies are being washed." I said and he nodded.

Ace nudged my arm and I looked over to his face but my eyes shifted down to the hoodie he held out.

"Oh- I'm alright, I'll survive." I said with a small laugh but he just raised his eyebrow at me and reached forward, grabbing my hand with his. His hand was like a furnace compared to mine and he nodded slightly, pulling his hand back and tossing his hoodie onto my lap with an amused look.

"Thanks." I said and have him a small smile before looking down to my lap and twisting it around to find the bottom.

"Someone's blushing." Camilla said and I looked up quickly.

"No I'm not." I said quickly and she just smirked. I just gave her a blank look before slipping the hoodie on and pulling it down, instantly starting to warm up.

I looked over to Ace to see humor dancing in his eyes but I just turned back to my tray and started eating.

After everyone finished, we all started standing up and gathering our trays. I slipped my migraine medication into my back pocket quickly, but apparently not quickly enough. I looked up and my eyes met a 'guard' which was what we had been referring to them as.

Where ever you were, save for your room and the hallways, you could always see several of them. standing by the walls, heads on a swivel, making sure everyone was doing what they were supposed to.

He stepped forward and looked down to my hands that were at my sides.

"What did you just put in your pocket?" he asked with a dark look on his face and I gulped.

I felt ace push up against the right side of my back.

"What's going on?" he asked and the man's gaze shifted to him. I felt ace's hand skim against my butt, his fingers quickly dipping into my pocket.

"Step back from her. This has nothing to do with you." The guard said as another man stepped beside him.

"I said step back boy." He said again and I felt ace step back away from me. I glanced back to see his hands up in an 'I surrender' pose.

"I will ask one more time, what did you put in your pocket?" he asked again and I finally answered.

"Nothing." I said and he looked me up and down.

"Search her." He demanded and the other guard stepped forward.

"Arms out." He said and I complied. He kicked my feet out, making me just about stumble forward. His hands ran along my arms, then my waist and stomach.

His hands made it down further and slid over my butt, instantly making me uncomfortable as he spent a second longer than necessary. He quickly ran his hands down my legs before standing up to his full height and shaking his head at the first guard.

He looked at me for several seconds before nodding his head over towards the doors.

"Go." Is all he said before turning around and taking his station back up by the wall. I turned back around to my tray and picked it up, glancing up to the group. They were all looking at me looking confused and worried. I gave a small forced smile, anxiety still twisting around in my stomach, before glancing over to Ace to see him glaring ahead of him.

When he noticed my gaze, he looked over to me. I gave him a small nod and he gave me one back before grabbing his tray.

We all made our way over to the trash cans to dump our remaining food then to slide our trays onto the stack next to it.

"Everybody needs to get to where they're supposed to be, we do not tolerate tardiness." A woman's voice who I recognized as Ms. Barnes' echoed throughout the room. I sighed and turned to the group.

"I'll see you guys later." I said and they nodded. Ace and I both walked out of the dining room doors and gave each other one last glance before turning our separate ways. I had to go to my physical exam that I had once a week and I had no clue where he had to go.

I forced my feet to move and made my way down the hallway with a knot in my stomach.

That was way too close.