Chapter 20

I faded in and out of consciousness for what felt like forever. I could hear voices but couldn't hear what they were saying. My limbs felt heavy, like they were weighed down by something invisible.

Every time I started to wake, I couldn't even get my eyes open before I was out again.

I wanted to scream, to cry out. I wanted to do something, anything but I couldn't.

Eventually, I started to be able to feel my fingers, to make out words, to move my eyes under my eye lids, and eventually, I was able to finally come out of it and open my eyes.

I blinked several times, twitching my fingers and letting my head roll to the side slightly. I saw a blurry face and heard someone call out but couldn't understand what was even really going on.

I heard several voices I didn't recognize as I blinked slowly, my eyelids feeling too heavy to keep open.

I heard a voice repeating something that I eventually recognized as my name. I turned my head to my right and made out Aces face.

I was able to keep my eyes open this time and felt him take my hand.

"Charlotte?" he asked and I let out a small groggy 'hm?'.

He leaned forward and wrapped his arms around me, holding me tight. I felt his breath skim across my neck as he buried his face in my hair.

"Thank god." I heard him mumble as I shut my eyes, comfortable in the position we were in but he pulled back.

"We need to check her." I heard a voice say so I looked over to my left to see two doctors standing there.

"Okay." Ace said and I took a deep breath in.

"Can you step out for a minute?" A doctor asked Ace and he hesitated but nodded, standing up and making his way to the door.

As soon as he was out, the doctors started doing a few small tests and asking me questions.

They continued like this for about 20 minutes before I was told what happened. Apparently, I had hit my head hard enough to cause my brain to swell slightly. They had immediately put me under to check my head because apparently the seizure went on too long. They had managed to control the swelling so that put us where we were now.

Apparently, I had been out for two days, going on three. They wanted to keep me here for at least another 12 hours to monitor everything.

After they had concluded that I was stable, they left and Ace was able to come back in.

"You were supposed to leave on Saturday." I said and he walked over to the bed I was in.

"We were supposed to leave on Saturday." He said putting emphasis on 'we'. "Were not leaving without you. We'll wait until you're better and try again. We'd never leave you behind." He said sincerely and I let a small smile slip onto my face.

"Plus, we need you to help get the key card." He joked and I let out a quiet breathy laugh. I patted the spot next to me on the bed and he hesitated.

"You're not going to break me, you're fine." I said tiredly and he nodded, pulling back the white blanket and sliding in.

He placed his arm above my head and laid on his side. I turned on my side so I was facing him and before I knew it, I was falling asleep with my face pressed into his chest and arms pulled up to mine.

"Get some rest Char." I heard him whisper right before I finally drifted off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thursday evening, we all sat in Ace and I's room talking.

"Is there a chance that it could happen again when we go for it again?" Henry asked and I sighed.

"I'll be fine, you don't have to worry about me." I said and a frown appeared on his face.

"But we do have to worry about you Charlotte. You're our friend." Callie said and I gave her a small smile.

"I know. As long as I don't hit my head then I should be fine." I said.

"I'll stay by her when we walk to make sure she doesn't fall." Ace said and I nodded.

"Hey Callie?" Henry asked and she turned to him.

"Yeah?" she asked and he bit his lip slightly.

"What's wrong with you? Er- I mean you just never said..." he trailed off and she smiled.

"There's a few things. The biggest is that some of my internal organs have a habit of just trying to shut down on me." She said and his eyes widened.

"That's worse than I thought it was going to be." He said and she let out a small laugh.

"It doesn't happen very often and usually I can tell a little while before." She said and henry nodded.

"So, when are we planning on putting our plan to action?" Camilla asked and I looked to Ace. He thought for a second before speaking.

"Monday." He said and I nodded.

"We leave at midnight."