Chapter 16

Monday evening, 5 days later, Ace and I were both sitting on our beds facing each other talking. Well, more like playing 50 questions.

"What's your favorite animal?" I asked and he immediately responded.

"Dog, what's your favorite season?" he asked and I smiled.

"Summer, I hate the cold." I said and he nodded.

"What's your favorite food?" I asked and he thought for a moment.

"Burgers, what's your 3 favorite hobbies?" he asked and I thought.

"Photography, reading and listening to music. God, I wish they hadn't taken my phone just so I could listen to music." I said and the corners of his lips turned up.

"What's your favorite genre of music?" he asked and I smiled.

"I like pretty much everything but I would probably have to say rock." I said and he suddenly stood up.

"What are you doing?" I asked and he just turned around, continuing taking a few steps backwards to the closet.

"Move your side table to the other side of your bed." He said and I gave him a confused look but got up and started to push it around my bed anyways, moving the lamp cord around to behind my bed. He closed the closet door and did the same to his table. He then scooted his bed closer to mine and I looked at him confused. He came and helped me push my bed so it was pressed up against his.

"Are you going to tell me what were doing?" I asked when he crawled onto his bed and sat against the head board. I did the same but turned to him as he dug into the pocket of his sweat pants and pulled something out.

"How did you sneak that in here?" I asked as he untangled the earbuds that were connected to the mp3 player that he held.

"I knew they were going to search my stuff so I kept it on me." He said, powering it on.

"You know its kind of concerning how good you are at stealing things and sneaking around." I said and he smirked.

"Why do you think I'm in here in the first place?" he asked and I laughed.

"Here." he said handing me an ear bud. I put it in my ear and leaned back against my head board as he clicked on a song. Music started pouring out, making a big smile stretch across my face.

"Lay down, lights out was 10 minutes ago." He said, reaching over and clicking off the light. We both settled into the bed, laying on our backs, listening to the music.

The back of his hand was pressed against mine as we laid there, moonlight filtering through the window. Every once in a while, one of us would say something but for the most part, we just listened.

We listened until the battery went dead. After it did, Ace shoved it into his nightstand and laid back down.

It didn't take long for us to fall asleep, a mere foot away from each other, our hands touching ever so slightly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wednesday afternoon right before lunch, I was walking down the hallway on my way to the dining hall when I heard a boy yelling. I poked my head around the corner to see two guards restraining the boy as he cried, a pit instantly forming in my stomach.

"Please stop, please!" He begged Ms. Barnes who stood in front of him with her arms crossed.

"I'm sorry, I don't know what I did but I won't do it again." He sobbed but Ms. Barnes just tilted her head.

"It's not something you did but it is something you will pay for." She said and my eyes went wide as the guards started dragging him back.

The boy thrashed around violently, trying to get away but the guards just forced him to the ground. His arm was twisted around forcefully and a loud snap echoed through the hall making my stomach twist. The boy cried out in pain as the men yanked him up and dragged him backwards through a set of doors.

I quickly and silently passed the hallway, making my way to the dining hall, wringing my hands as the sounds of the boy echoed through my head. I got my food and met Ace's eyes who already sat at the table with the rest of the group.

"What's wrong?" he asked when I slid into the seat next to him, making everyone turn to look at me.

"Not here, we need to meet in someone's room after this." I said, knowing we all had about an hour of free time before we had other stuff to do.

"Okay." Ace said and everyone nodded.

"We'll meet in our room." Henry said and I nodded.

"Okay."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"What do you think they did to him?" Logan asked after I had explained what I saw.

"I don't know." I said tucking my legs up under me and hugging the pillow that I had on my lap.

"We need to get out of here." Camilla said and I nodded.

"We don't know enough about this place yet. We wouldn't stand a chance." Callie said and we all agreed.

"We just need to keep watching. Anything that you see or hear needs to be reported back to everyone, even if it's the tiniest little thing," Henry said and I nodded.

"He's right. Everyone just needs to keep an eye and an ear out. Try not to get yourself into trouble, don't draw attention to yourself." Ace said from my right and I glanced over to him.

"Once we have enough information, we can start planning."