Chapter 11

The next morning, I woke up to Ace lightly shaking my shoulder.

"15 minutes until breakfast." He said and I nodded, rubbing my eyes and yawning.

About 25 minutes later, I was sliding into my seat at our table.

"Morning Charlotte, Ace." Henry said nodding at the both of us.

"How do you know its us?" I asked curiously.

"By the way you walk. I can't hear you a lot of the time because you're so quiet walking but Ace's footsteps have an odd pattern."

"So, if you can't hear me how did you know it was me?" I asked jokingly and he let out a laugh.

"Well if Ace is here, you probably are too." He said and I shrugged.

"True." I replied before greeting Camilla.

A few minutes later, Callie and Logan arrived at the table.

"We have an argument we need you to settle." Logan said plopping down in his seat.

"Good morning to you too." I said with a smirk and Logan tossed me a playful smile.

"What came first, the chicken or the egg?" He asked and I immediately answered.

"Egg." I said and he groaned.

"There can't be an egg if there is no chicken." He said and Callie rolled her eyes.

"There can't be a chicken if there's no egg." She said and I smiled at the two bickering.

"I say Chicken." Camilla said and henry agreed. Everyone looked over to Ace and he raised his eyebrows.

"Egg." Is all he said and I grinned.

"You're wrong." Logan groaned and I laughed.

"One word, evolution." I said and he looked over to me.

"Basically, two different bird type things came together and made the egg that hatched the chicken. Therefore, the egg came first." I said and Ace nodded.

"But the two birds existed first so that means the chicken came first." Logan argued unconvincingly.

"The two birds weren't chickens dumbass." Callie said and he let out a huff.

I let out a small laugh and reached over to my water glass with my left hand. I tried to pick it up but my smile slowly dropped when I couldn't. I took my left hand back and set down my fork, taking a sip of my water after grabbing it with my right. I set my glass back down and looked down to my hand in my lap.

I rubbed my fingers and frowned when I still couldn't feel it very much. It was the one big physical side effect after my surgery. I had partial paralysis in my left hand. It was pretty much just partly numb and I didn't really have much grip strength at all. No matter how much physical therapy I did with it after, it hit a wall and never really went further after that.

I shook the thought from my head and looked back up to the table when I heard my name. I let out a small 'huh?' and looked over to Camilla who has said it.

"Do you want to come hangout in our room after breakfast?" she asked and I nodded.

"Sure." I said and she smiled.

"Perfect." She said and I matched her smile.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I plopped down on Camilla's bed in between her and Callie as the boys sat down too.

We talked for a while and eventually the conversation turned to this place.

"Do you guys think its even really a correctional facility?" Callie asked from my left and everyone took a second to think.

"It doesn't really seem like it." Camilla was the first to speak "The people here are weird, and so are all of the tests they put us through." She finished off and several people nodded. Something popped into my mind and my head shot up.

"Why doesn't this place have any actual schooling? Sure, they have tests but they don't actually teach us stuff. legally wouldn't it have to have some sort of schooling since were all still in high school?" I asked and everybody had this look of realization on their face.

"Legally this place should have a lot of stuff that it doesn't." Ace spoke up and I nodded.

"That is unless nobody knows about this place. I tried to look it up before I came but I couldn't find a single thing." Logan said and Camilla nodded.

"Me too." She said and a knot formed in my stomach.

"Do any of you happen to know where we even are right now? What state even?" I asked bringing my sleeve covered hand up to my mouth. Everyone looked around to each other and my stomach dropped.

"I don't hear anybody saying anything." Henry said and I took a deep breath to keep myself from panicking.

"No clue." Camilla said and I looked to Ace.

"We need to figure out the general area. Where were you guys and what time was it when you left and arrived at the building?" Ace asked and it almost surprised me how in charge he sounded. It seemed like he as good at this kind of stuff. He was pretty smart from what I saw so if any body could figure it out, it would probably be him.

One by one we went around saying where we left from and how long it took to get to the building. Camilla had given Ace a notebook and he had written in it every time somebody spoke. After we finished, I kept my eyes trained on him as the pencil quickly scratched along the notebook.

He flipped the page and did something there before starting to flip back and forth between them, writing on the second page. After a few minutes, he lifted the pencil from the page and looked at it for a few seconds.

"That would put us about right here." He said and I stood up, quickly making my way to the end of the bed where he was to look at the paper.

On the paper was a sketch of the US. Dots and lines were placed seemingly randomly but I knew it was where everyone lived. They all connected to one darker dot that then had a line drawn from it to a circle. To where we were now.

"Alright, so what do we do now?" Callie asked and Ace looked up.

"We wait." he said and I nodded.

"We learn as much as we can about this place." I added and Ace nodded.

"We don't need to do anything yet, just go about everything like normal. If you hear or see anything, tell us." Ace sad and there was a chorus of okays and nods.

"I have an idea of what we can do right now though." Camilla said and Henry spoke up.

"Let's hope it's a little less depressing." Henry said and I let out a soft laugh, pushing the knot in my stomach to the back of my mind.

"Oh, it is, trust me." She said with a little smirk.

Great.