Chapter 27

10 minutes later, the vans started passing about every minute. It was just enough time to make it further out into the woods and over to the building bit by bit that Ace had seen on the map.

I watched as the next van exited from our sight.

"Go." Ace said tugging my arm up. We sprinted through the trees, making it as far as possible before Ace grabbed my arm and pulled me behind another dense bush a split second before the next vehicle came into view. I caught my breath as I watched it pass and before I knew it, we were up and running again, crouching behind a group of trees as the next van rumbled down the dirt road.

My stomach twisted as my heart beat heavily in my chest.

"Come on, it shouldn't be much longer." Ace said nudging my arm up and stumbling slightly as he stood.

"This is worse than that damn pacer." I said right before we started running again.

A few more runs later and we were crouched behind a big shipping container, the buildings in sight. There were a few problems through.

"If we run as fast as we can, we might just barely make it." Ace said and I looked around.

"And there's not much cover in between." I said and I saw the crease in-between his brows deepen.

"We need to just go for it. If a van passes and looks in their mirror, they can clearly see us." Ace said right as another van came into view.

"As soon as this one passes, run as fast as you can." I said and he nodded, turning so he could take off quickly, me doing the same.

"3...2...1." He counted down and I instantly pushed off the ground, sprinting by his side.

My lungs burned as I put all my power into my legs. Hy heart lurched into my throat as my foot landed in a hole and I lost my balance.

My hands hit the ground and I slid a few feet. I looked up to Ace as I stumbled up before I even came to a complete stop.

"Go." I said as I started to run again, this time with sharp pains shooting up from my ankle. I fell about 10 feet behind Ace and right as I was just about to the building, everything happened in slow motion.

Ace slid to a stop as he passed the brick wall, spinning around and looking back to me, holding his arms out. A van came into view and my eyes met the drivers right before I disappeared behind the building, crashing into Ace, his arms wrapping around me.

I heard brakes screech as tires slid on gravel. I looked up to Ace as he looked down to my hands that were cut up with blood slowly dripping down my right arm, disappearing into the fabric of the hoodie I wore. His eyes darted up to mine as I spoke.

"They saw me." I said and I swallowed looking up to him. We slowly sunk down to our knees, still out of breath from the run.

"You need to hide, they only saw me, not you." I said but he stayed silent, looking down to me. He didn't look disappointed or angry which confused me slightly. He didn't look panicked or worried.

"Its okay." He said and I shook my head.

"You need to go. Now." I said pushing him back slightly but he didn't budge.

I looked up to his dark eyes as he looked down to me.

His head dipped and his lips met mine. I instantly responded, moving my mouth against his as his arms snaked around my waist, pulling me as close as possible. Both of our lips were chapped but it didn't matter. My hands slipped to the back of his head, my fingers tangling in his hair, pulling him closer to me.