Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

Olivia

Dinner was delicious. Steak was cooked to perfection and the mashed potatoes were buttery and garlic flavoured. While to food was good, some of the company was good and one person was making things awkward.

Cameron had invited Trenton. My dad was not impressed, nor was Ben.

It was no secret that Ben and Remi hated Cameron. Ben's jaw was permanently tense, and his jaw ticked every time he called Kim "babe." Gabby was staring at Cam with a lovestruck expression on her face and Evelyn was ignoring everyone. My mom was being as polite as ever and listening to everything Trenton was saying. My dad kept sharing glances with Ben and shaking his head.

"Trenton and I were planning on owning Towers when one of us gets promoted to management." Cameron said, looking at his brother. "That's what our goal is."

Trenton smiled. "Yeah, Towers is our home."

Ben put his fork down and leaned forward. "So, Trenton. Can you tell me why you're here?"

Trenton looked at his brother and raised a confused eyebrow. "I was invited here, wasn't I? Cameron told me that I was."

"Like fuck you were." Dad bellowed.

"Ahren, stop it." Mom tried, putting a hand on his thigh.

Dad continued. "This was a family vacation. Family. The only reason your brother is here is because he is dating my best friend's daughter. If it wasn't for that, he wouldn't be invited either. You are not dating my daughter, so feel free to leave after this meal. You are not staying here."

Trenton swallowed. I've never been in the line of fire of my dad's harsh words, but I could only imagine what he was thinking and feeling. I didn't want him here. This was a vacation for my family and he was ruining the vibe of my favourite place.

Trenton nodded, his jaw muscle worked.

Will squeezed my knee.

It wasn't like we ended things badly, but it was still awkward to have him here when I was in a relationship with Will. It was just awkward with the way things were left and ended.

Trenton sighed and stood up from the table. "Thank you for cooking everyone. It was nice being here for twenty minutes."

"Twenty minutes too many." Dad grumbled under his breath.

Mom slapped his thigh and gave him the look. Dad rolled his eyes at her.

I wanted to shrink in a hole and die.

*        *       *

After dinner, we sat out by the lake side and started a fire. It was cooler, but we were warmed by the fire. It was Kim, Mom, Dad, Ben and Remi joining us. Will and Kim were roasting marshmallows and making smores. Will kept trying to feed me all the sweetness, but I said no and just relaxed in my chair. Dad sat beside me and Mom rested her head on his shoulder. Dad forced my head on his shoulder and he wrapped his arms around Mom and I.

"Ah," he said, smiling in the light. "My two loves."

I laughed. Mom leaned up and kissed his jawline, wrapping her arm around his chest. Will sat back in his chair and put the smore near my mouth. I smiled and finally took a sweet from him.

"So, Will..." Remi started. "How's school? I thought you wouldn't have been able to come because of classes."

He rubbed the back of his neck. "Well, actually... I, uh... was thinking of dropping out."