36. Inspired by what? Your future in hell?

I was going to make you all wait until tomorrow before I posted this, but I figured I'd post it now instead.

Also, on another note, you all have kept me highly amused while reading your comments on the last couple chapters. So thanks for that.

Enjoy!

Thirteen's POV 

Devin looks down at his watch again before motioning for the guard to unlock my cell. The door to the room opens before the guard's across the room, and Devin lets out a gasp of shock.

"Zombie!" He screams. "Zombie! He's risen from the dead!" He's screaming and pointing at a blood and soot-covered Zack standing in the doorway with a large black bag slung over his shoulder.

The guard turns to look, pulling his gun and Devin shoots him in the back when he turns away.

Zack looks over at me. "He was supposed to shoot me once. Once. Does this look like once?" He gestures to the bullet holes in his shirt. "And another thing, the incinerator? What the hell is wrong with you?!"

Devin smiles widely. "I was inspired."

"Inspired by what? Your future in hell?" Zack growls.

"What?" Jason manages to choke out as he looks between them in utter surprise. Chase is staring wide-eyed, and Lily appears to be getting madder by the second.

"Can one of you unlock the cells now?" I question, a smile on my face.

"I'm on it," Devin says as he rifles through the guard's pockets and removes a set of keys.

"Zack, you take care of the cameras?" I ask.

Zack nods. "Garrett won't be able to tell you're all on the loose until too late. And I located Sam. He's on the other end of the base."

"I could have told her that. I found him first," Devin says.

"It's not a competition," Zack says dully.

"You only say that cause you lost." Zack sticks his foot out and trips Devin when he walks past.

"You were in on all of this and left us out," Chase states angrily as he looks at me.

I shrugged my shoulders. "I took a page out of Ryder's book. And if I had told any of you about this, your reactions wouldn't be as real. I couldn't have any slip-ups. Garrett had to believe everything."

Jason is suddenly able to find his words. "You shot me!" He shouts at Devin. "You actually shot me!"

"That was purely for survival. You were looking like you intended to kill me. And I intended to live," Devin replies, not at all sorry.

"How long were you planning this?" Chase asks me, ignoring Jason who's spewing curse words at Devin.

"I'll leave you in your cell," I hear Devin say. Jason shuts up.

"For a while now," I reply to Chase as Devin unlocks my cell. "I had Zero doctor up some old files of Devin's. I had to make sure that when Garrett went digging into Devin, he'd only find what was needed to cause him to trust him. After that, it was all on Devin. And I needed someone out running around when we all got caught, so I had Devin 'kill' Zack. None of this was supposed to happen for another week or more. Garrett getting Sam and Lily escalated things."

"I only agreed to that because he was supposed to shoot me once. Three times. Three freaking times. Body armor or not, it's still damn painful!"

"You'll live," I reply simply. Devin moves on to unlock Lily's cell after he gets Chase and Jason out.

I hear the sound of something hitting metal, followed by a cry from Devin and a thud as he falls to the floor, a red welt beginning to form in the shape of the metal bars of the cells on his forehead. Lily glares murderously down at him, still locked inside.