Chapter 7

A week after I had blown Johnny and Pony off, a little kid by the name of Jackson was dragging me to the playground outside of a place called the Lot.

He was a kid I babysat. Usually, I loved babysitting. I saw it as a fun way to make some money. But lately, everything seemed dull. I didn't really want to do much, and when I did something it just wasn't fun.

We got to the playground. I sat on one of the benches while Jackson messed around on the slides, laughing and playing with other kids.

I could hear people yelling in the distance, but I ignored it.

"Ava! Avvva!" Jackson called. I looked away from a dog I saw walking and at the blonde-haired menace. He was standing up on the monkey- bars, balancing like it was a tightrope. "Look at what I can do!"

"Please don't fall," I muttered under my breath, then yelled, "That's so cool!"

He got to the end of the bars and kept playing. I pulled out a book I'd been reading from my bag.

We stayed at the park for another twenty minutes or so before I heard approaching footsteps. I wasn't worried about it until I realized that it was several people.

Looking up from my book, I saw a group of socs heading Jackson and I's way, looking smug.

"Jackson!" I stood up quickly and grabbed my bag.

"I don't wanna go," he whined after I picked him up off the slide.

"I don't wanna either," I said quietly, "but you see those boys? Their mean and we gotta get away from 'em."

He frowned, then rolled up his sleeves. "I'll take care of 'em!"

"Maybe another day." I walked quickly out of the park with Jackson, ignoring the shouts behind me.

"Where ya going?!" someone called from behind me. I walked faster, holding Jackson's hand, trying to look like I wasn't running. Showing fear usually made things worse.

"We just wanna have some fun!"

I glanced beside me, making sure Jackson wasn't lagging behind. I made a mental note not to go so fast because the little guy couldn't keep up.

"I said, where ya going?!"

The footsteps behind us quickened.

"Get back here, greaser!"

Looking around, I realized that we weren't close enough to his house to be able to get there in time, or to mine. The Dingo? Possibly.

But the Curtis' house was the best option. They were the closest and I knew the door was unlocked.

I glanced over my shoulder.

5 boys, all my age or older, the oldest looking to be about 20.

I picked up Jackson and ran towards the Curtis'.

"Leave us alone!" he called over my shoulder at the socs. "Fuck away!"

I would've told him never to curse, but I didn't have enough breath to.

"Get back here!" one of the boys called. I could hear them running behind me.

"Tell that little brat to shut the fuck up or I'll make him!"

That comment almost made me stop, turn, and punch the nearest boy in the face, but I knew I'd get my ass beat if I tried.

The Curtis' house was in sight.

I could hear the socs slowing down and breathing heavily.

"Fucking bitch!" one yelled loudly. A rock landed next to me, obviously having been thrown by one of the socs.

I ran into the house, barely opening the door before I crashed into it. I came to a skidding halt, almost crashing into the couch.

"What the hell?!" Two-Bit yelled. "Ava?"

Jackson was crying, so I sat him down on the couch.

"What's wrong buddy?" I asked gently, trying to catch my breath while calming Jackson down.

"Don't tell mommy and daddy I said a bad word!" he wailed.

I sighed. I thought he'd gotten hurt. "I won't, just don't do it again."

"What happened?" Two-Bit yelled confusedly.

I glanced over my shoulder. He was standing in the kitchen door, holding beer and cake. "We almost got jumped. Some stupid dam- darn socs were at the playground and chased us around a bit."

"They still here?" Pony asked, looking out the window.

"I don't know," I barked, still feeling panicked. "I didn't really focus on where they went once I got inside!"

"It was just a question!" Two-Bit snapped in response, glaring at me.

I opened my mouth to yell back, but Jackson was sitting right in front of me and I knew he didn't need to see anything that might scare him again today.

Pony softly said, "I don't see anyone. You can go now if you want." He was probably thinking of my parting words at the Drive-In, and I was too, feeling my cheeks turn pink with embarrassment and shame.

"I don't know," I replied nervously. "Maybe I should wait for awhile, just in case those fuc-uh, flippin' socs wait for me."

Johnny nodded from the armchair. "That's a good idea."

"Who's the kid? I didn't know you're a mom," Two-Bit said seriously.

I shook my head. "I'm babysittin' him. His name is Jackson."

Jackson waved at all of them. Only Pony, Johnny, and Two-Bit were there.

"Where'd you get that cake from?" Jackson asked Two-Bit curiously.

Two-Bit grinned at the kid. "I can get you some, buddy. Hey, Pony, turn on the TV so the kid can watch it."

Two-Bit went into the kitchen as Pony turned on the TV. I lied down on the floor, using my hands as pillows.

"Do you know if Mickey Mouse is on?" Jackson asked. "That's my favorite show and I don't wanna miss it."

I heard Two-Bit gasp from the kitchen. "Did he just say what I think he said?" Two-Bit came out of the kitchen with the whole cake and a few forks.

"Yes, he did," Johnny groaned.

"Mickey Mouse is your favorite show?" Two-Bit asked, sitting next to Jackson on the couch, handing him a fork.

Jackson nodded and said, "Goofy's my favorite character though."

"I like Mickey the most." He looked at me on the floor. "Ava, you've raised this kid right," he joked, laughing.

"I told you, I'm his babysitter." I rolled my eyes and laughed with him. Two-Bit tossed me a fork. I sat up and took a huge bite of the cake. "And anyways, my brother would kill me if I had a kid."

"Brother? I didn't know you had one of those," Two-Bit replied, his mouth full of cake.

I shrugged. "I don't see him. Dad hates him and I ain't allowed to be around him. The last time I saw him was when I got a boyfriend and he chased him off." I made sure not to say my bother's name, Dallas, in case these guys had had trouble with him before, which was very likely.