Chapter 60

I didn't know where to go. 

I was sitting on the couch, staring blankly at the TV screen trying to decide what to do with myself. 

Pony and Johnny had gone somewhere together while I was still asleep so I didn't know when they would be back. Darry, Steve, and Soda were at work, which left me to decide either to go see Dally, go see Two-Bit, or sit by myself and watch TV all day- or, at least, until Pony and Johnny got back. Which could be hours and hours from then. 

I didn't want to hear more about mom and I was sure Dally would have a lot more to say about New York. Two-Bit was apparently mad at me or something, judging from last night. His whole ignoring me thing was bothering me a lot more since I had woken up. 

Maybe I should call him and ask what was wrong? That seemed like it was the best option since it would eliminate the whole wondering about if he was mad at me, but it still made me a little nervous. What if he was mad at me? What if he wanted to break up? I shook my head, trying to get rid of the doubt plaguing me. He wouldn't want that. 

I dialed his number and Katie answered. 

"Ava!" she shouted, "Did you have fun when you came to my sleepover yesterday?" 

"Yeah, I did," I replied, smiling to myself. "Hey, can I talk to your brother?" 

"Yep, just one minute." She screamed his name right into the phone, probably not thinking about how I could still hear her. "He said for me to tell you he was comin' over to the Curtis' in  a minute anyway." 

"Alright, tell him I'll see him in a minute then." 

"Okay. Bye, Ava." 

"Bye, Katie." I hung up, just standing by the phone for a moment. I hoped he would hurry here. 

After a few minutes, I heard his car rumble up the street and stop out front. He walked in with a small grin on his face. "Why'd you call?" he asked dumbly. 

I cut straight to the point. "I just wanted to ask why you wouldn't speak to me last night." 

"Oh." He sat next to me on the couch and threw his arm around me. He took a second to answer, just thinking. Finally, he asked, "Do you want the truth?" 

I nodded hesitantly. 

"I didn't want you to tell me what you said to Dally." 

"Said to Dally? About... New York?" 

"Yeah, exactly."

"He told you about that?" 

Two-Bit shrugged. "He thought I should know first. And he stopped by my house last night and told me you said no." 

"What else would I say?" I asked. "You thought I would say yes?" 

"No, I didn't. I knew you would say no." 

"Then why were you afraid of my answer? I'd never leave you and the gang, Two-Bit. Not for anythin'." 

He glanced down at the ground. "That's what I was afraid of." 

"What?" I gave him a small smile, hoping he would say he was kidding. "You want me to leave?" 

"It's not that I want you gone, Ava, it really isn't. It's just that... I dunno, Dally's told me 'bout how much money they got and-" 

"Don't start telling me about their money!" I snapped, moving away from him. "I don't care about all that!" 

"But you should," he replied quietly. "No one would be mad if you left. We all get it, you know." 

"So what? I don't give a shit about the fucking money she has! I'm gonna stay here with you guys!" 

Two-Bit sighed. "You shouldn't stay here. You-" he tried to smile- "you have to go. You gotta go up there." 

"You want me to leave," I stated, feeling a knot forming in my stomach.

"Don't take it like that. I want you to be here, with me, but I know that if you don't go to New York your life is pretty much ruined." He laughed, but it was humorless. "Look around, Ava. It's fucking Tulsa. Look at everyone here, at all the greasers. They all want out but can't make it. But you get the chance to leave, so you gotta fucking take it." 

He was right. He was right, just like Dally, and I knew it. But I couldn't accept it. 

"I can make it here. We all can, the whole gang. We- we'll graduate and work, and we'll get a job. We-" I pointed to him, and then myself- "you can me, we can do it. We don't need their money to make it." 

"You know that's not true. Look at me. Do you know how many times I've been held back? My future is fucked and there's not a whole lot I can do about it," he said as if it were one hundred percent true, like it was already decided. "You got this huge opportunity in front of you, and you're gonna take it. You have to go." 

I shook my head, fighting tears. "You just want me gone." 

"What?" He sounded surprised like he didn't know I would figure it out. 

"You're done with me, just like Dally said you would be." I stood up, kicking myself for not listening to my brother. "I'm so goddamn dumb." 

"What are you talking about?" Two-Bit stood up, blocking my way to the door. "I'm not done with you- what does that even mean?" 

"It means that since we had sex, you're done with me. That's all you ever wanted outta me this whole time." I was crying. I made no sense. It was the only thing that made sense. He would want me to stay if he really cared about me. He wouldn't want me gone.

"Do you really think that's true? You really think that's what this is about?" He was getting mad. "I can't believe you think I would do that to you!" 

"Just leave me alone," I groaned. I didn't want him to be mad at me. 

 "Fine! But don't come cryin' to me when you realize how fucking stupid you are for not goin' to New York!"