Chapter 34

Dally and I walked out of the hospital, both grumbling at each other. He was mad at me and being an ass about it, so I was being an asshole back.

"Get the car," he snapped, tossing Buck's keys at me. I let his keys hit my bad arm and fall to the pavement. "Jesus Christ! Just get the fucking car!"

"I can't drive!" I kicked the keys at him.

He rolled his eyes. "You're kiddin'... right?"

"No." I looked around, glared at him, and asked, "Do we even have a car here?"

Dally paused before muttering, "No."

"When you hit your head, did it give you brain damage? I'll call the Curtis' phone and see if someone there can pick us up."

We went back inside and used the phone. Only Pony and Johnny were home so no one could drive us, but Steve and Soda would be off their shift soon. I called Stacey's house, but her car had broken down. Katie was the only one home at Two-Bit's house.

We were stranded, and not about to walk home. Not in our condition.

"Well, I'm goin' back to Two-Bit's room."

"I'll go too," Dally muttered, trailing after me. "He deserves a visit, I think."

"I know it's hard for you, but I'd like it if you weren't an asshole to him. Or me."

"Fuck off."

"Whatever." I huffed and walked up the stairs, not wanting to wait in line for the elevator. He followed, complaining about the bright hospital lights the whole way up to the third floor.

We walked into Two-Bit's room, where he was just staring at the ceiling again.

"Hey, guys. You get let out, Dal?"

"Yes." Dallas was leaning against the door frame and he pulled out a pack of smokes.

Two-Bit's eyes lit up. "Can I have-"

"No."

I rolled my eyes. Sitting down, I said, "Have you seen your mom or sister?" I hadn't seen them in his room or around the hospital.

"Nope. Mom can't get off work durin' visitin' hours." Two-Bit shrugged. "I'd like to see Katie, but I don't know who could get her here."

"That sucks," Dally droned, without an ounce of sympathy or care in his voice.

Getting an idea, I replied, "Yeah, it does. So, Dallas, why don't you go get her? You can walk her to the hospital."

"What? And leave you two alone? No way!"

Ignoring him, I stood up and walked towards him. "That would be so nice of you!" I pushed him out of the doorway with my good hand and slammed the door shut. I leaned against the door, putting almost my full weight against it.

"Hey! What the hell?!" Dallas hit the door.

I laughed, shouting back, "Come back with Katie! The faster you go, the less we can do!"

"I swear to fucking Christ! Ava Rose Winston, if you don't let me in, I'll-"

"I can't hear you! See you with Katie in... oh, a half-hour or more?"

"I can't be in the sun! I am concussed!" 

"You'll be fine!"  

I could hear Dallas sigh as he yelled, "When I get back if I see anything, you're both dead." He paused before screaming, "Especially you, Mathews!"

I could hear him stomping down the hallway, and when I thought he was gone, I cracked the door. I saw him turning the corner to leave and sighed in relief. He could be such an asshole.

"Wow... that was entertaining." Two-Bit started laughing. "So now that he's gone..." he raised his eyebrows. I shook my head.

"We're in a hospital, dumbass. And, anyway, I'm not about to fuck a guy I've been on a date with twice."

"That's not what you acted like after goin' to Buck's-"

"That did not count because I was trashed. And at least I didn't go and brag when you tried to get with me."

"That's fair."

I walked across the room and sat back down. "I feel like I should get you, like, some food or somethin' to repay you for Teddy."

"Nah, it was a gift." He shrugged, then jokingly added, "But if you really feel bad, I got an idea of what you can do to repay me."

I leaned down as he raised his head, my lips meeting his.

We pulled apart, both smiling. "Was that enough to make up for Teddy?"

"Actually, I was gonna ask you to get me a snack from the vendin' machine down the hall, but that was good, too." He was dead serious, but when I started laughing, he laughed, too.

We both quickly leaned back in, but the door flew open before we could move anymore.

"Two-Bit! Ava! Steve got jumped!" Soda yelled, unfazed by us. "Some damn socs got him!"

Johnny and Pony walked into the room, looking grim.

"They want a rumble," Pony said, shaking his head. "Said that jumpin' Steve was repayment for  us bein' on their land the night of the drag race."

"So why a rumble? They got even," Two-Bit asked. "When's it gonna be?"

"Tim and Curly got a hold of one of them after they jumped Steve and damn near killed him. They're callin' for a rumble now, three weeks from today," Soda explained. He looked stressed but excited. "Steve ain't that bad off, and a rumble will be good," he muttered.

"Three weeks? I'll still be in this stupid fucking cast!"

I knew that even if my arm was alright, the gang would never let me fight in a rumble. And, even though I knew it meant a lot to them, I didn't want them in one, either. They would get hurt badly, especially if blades or bottles were involved. I would never say it aloud, but I was glad Two-Bit couldn't participate in the rumble.

Johnny cleared his throat. "Hey, Ava? Could I talk to you in the hallway?"

"Yeah, sure."

I walked into the hall with Johnny, shutting Two-Bit's door behind me.

"I-I saw your dad today."

"What?"

"I was at the mall," Johnny said, "gettin' some new clothes with some money I got for washin' Darry's car, and he was in one of the stores. I think he recognized me, 'cause he kept followin' me around."

"Did he say anythin'?"

"No, I don't think so. I mean, I wouldn't get worried, I just thought you should know."

I nodded, before giving Johnny a small smile. "Thanks for tellin' me."