Chapter 51

New York was the same as always- smelly, dirty, and full of people. But after almost two days of constantly being on a train, just getting out for another train, it was almost nice. 

We were picked up at the station by James' brother, Carter. 

When we pulled up to his house, I was jolted from my half-asleep state by the sheer size of the damn thing. 

It was out from NYC a way, more in the country. It sat on a flat piece of land, taking up a huge amount of space. There was an actual water fountain outside. 

A fucking water fountain

Carter parked the car with about five others, all looking spotless and expensive as hell. 

Dally and I looked at each other.

"They got a fountain," he said, trying to look bored. 

I nodded. "I saw." I wanted to go inside their mansion and see everything they had. I had never even seen a house so big. I wouldn't know what to do when I got inside, though- I would probably break something or get it dirty. 

I grabbed my bag and got out of the car after Dal, climbing out on his side. I had been sitting in the middle with mom and Dally on my sides. James was on the passenger's side and Carter was driving. 

James and Carter, who didn't seem to act much alike, lead us into the house. 

"Jesus," Dallas muttered, kicking off his old, ratty shoes. I did the same, looking around the house the whole time. 

It was beautiful. We had walked into an opening, where a flight of stairs twisted their way to another floor. It opened into the living room which had the biggest TV and radio I'd ever seen. Two other hallways branched off to who-knows-where. 

"This is my house," James announced, turning his back on Carter. He was smiling at the two of us as if waiting for our reaction. 

Dallas shrugged, looking around casually as if he'd ever been in a place like that. He pulled out his pack of smokes, sticking a cigarette in his mouth. "It's alright," he said. 

I glared at him. "I think it's amazing," I said, smiling at James. "I've never been anywhere so big." 

Carter took that as his cue to start blabbering. "Yeah, it is." He looked smug as he continued, "Dad bought it a few years ago after the oil company took off. In this family, we can afford things like this." 

"Well, we'll be part of this family soon, Uncle C." Dallas gave Carter a huge fake smile, blowing some smoke out in Carter's direction. 

Mom interfered, saying, "I'll show you two to your rooms!" 

She lead us up the stairs into a huge room with two beds, an attached bathroom, and a walk-in closet. 

"It's late," mom said. "I'll see you two in the morning." She left, shutting the door behind her. 

I mumbled, "Smoke in the bathroom, not in here." 

"Fine." He threw his stuff on the bed furthest from the door. "I can't believe we have to share a room." 

"Get over it." I sat down, facing him. "I can't believe how damn rich these people are." 

"I hope James doesn't have any other brothers," Dally said, and I couldn't help but nod.

I frowned. "I'm sure we'll be meetin' the rest of the family soon enough."

 The next day, mom had woken Dal and I up way too early and made us both go shopping for clothes for the wedding and a few other things. 

Seeing Dallas in a tuxedo was something I never thought I would see, but when I did, it was one of the funniest moments of my life. He looked like a spoiled little kid, pouting because he didn't get his way. My amusement at the situation wasn't helping his mood.

Of course, his reaction to my dress was payback enough. 

After shopping, we had lunch. We went back to James' mansion and got a full tour of the in and outside, including the garden where the wedding ceremony shit would take place. The tour was lead by Carter who took every chance he got to rub his money in our faces. 

I had never been so bored in my entire life by the time the tour was over. I mean, it was impressive, but I didn't care about what flowers were planted in the garden or what type of marble the kitchen counter was made of. 

I was pretty annoyed, too.

Dal and I went up to our rooms to throw our new clothes into the closet and put some of them on. We were going to some fancy dinner or something. 

I went into the bathroom and threw on a simple dress. I hadn't worn something that nice ever, and it looked like nothing compared to the dress for the wedding. 

When I stepped out, Dallas had on some nicer clothes too that didn't look right on him. I was too used to seeing him in a beat-up leather jacket and jeans, not slacks and a spotless white shirt. 

"You look like a soc," I said coolly, smirking. 

"Yeah? You do too." 

"I hate this." 

He nodded and left the room, me at his heels. 

Mom gushed over our appearance while James smiled awkwardly to the side. 

We headed to the car. Once we got in, mom turned to Dal and me. 

"Listen up, you two," she said sternly. 

Dallas rolled his eyes. "Yeah?" he asked sharply. 

"This is gonna be a nice dinner with our new family." The corners of her mouth turned up for a fraction of a second, but she was back in lecturing mode quickly. "I expect no cursing, good table manners, and for you two to be respectful." 

"I'll do what I can." Dallas crossed his arms. "Unless they're pricks first." 

"Is Carter gonna be there?" I groaned, hitting my head on the seat. 

James laughed from the driver's side. "You don't like him either? Sadly yes, he will be there. But hopefully, he'll be sitting on the other end of the table from your mother and I." 

"You two will be at the kid's table," mom clarified. 

Dally scowled. "I'm not a kid, mom." 

"You sure as hell are whinin' like one," I murmured. "I guess that's better than bein' around snobby adults, right?" 

Sorry for the delay in updates, but I was on vacation and I didn't think to go ahead and release these chapters while I could! I hope you enjoyed them, and the next update will be Sunday at the regular time!