Chapter 37

"I went out while you were in the shower," Dallas began, taking a drink from his beer. "Went to the DX- Soda and Steve were home, though- and some socs were there, botherin' the clerk at the desk. We got into a fight and somebody called the cops, but I didn't know. When they got there I split, but they followed me since I already got a warrant out."

"For what?"

"Some unpaid speedin' tickets or somethin', and not appearin' in court once." I could tell by his voice that there was something more, but I didn't press him. Dallas ran his hand through his hair and said, "I didn't come here in case they caught up with me. I was still in the mood for a fight, so I went to dad's."

"Dallas-"

"I don't wanna hear it! I know goin' there was dumb, but I don't care."

I crossed my arms, not happy with him. "Fine. What happened next?"

"Dad was in... bad shape. Too shit faced to even make a coherent sentence, much less stand to throw a punch. All I could get outta him was, 'Your moms here', and some other shit like that. I don't know, man." He sat down on the bed, his head in his hands.

I didn't know what to do.

"Maybe dad had it wrong," I said. "He was so drunk he didn't know what he was saying."

"Yeah, maybe."

When we lived in New York, when things were okay, mom and her boyfriend were good to Dally and I. Before mom's boyfriend left for a girl down the street, before mom got onto drugs, Dallas and mom had been close. Dally still was involved in gangs and he still got into trouble, but not as bad as he did later.

He had taken it a lot harder than me when mom kicked us out. That's how we ended up in Tulsa with dad.

"Listen, Dallas," I began, "if mom's even here, she won't be able to find us. We can hide here, at Buck's, and we'll be fine."

"But why would she come down here? Maybe... maybe she's better." There was a fraction of hope in Dally's voice.

I knew that, if mom was in town, if she wanted to see us, I would have to meet her first. I had to make sure she was okay. For Dally.

"I don't know."

Dallas looked up at me, his eyes were tired. "The cops are probably gonna be here soon."

"Did you not shake them?"

"They followed me to dad's."

"You better go then. And not to the Curtis', asshole. If the cops find you there-"

"Darry loses possession of Pony and Soda. I know." He stood up, throwing his beer to the ground. "You didn't see me."

"I know. If you get caught, call me."

"I will."

When he left, I laid back down and began to think. Was that why dad was trying to find me? To tell me mom was back?

The last time Dally and I had spoken to mom, she wasn't drunk or high.

She had just woken up at about one. Dal and I were eating a late lunch. It was a sunny afternoon on a Saturday in the middle of summer.

Before she even got to the fridge to get a beer, she looked at us. I remembered we had been laughing at something someone had done at school, back when Dally still went.

"Get out," she had said. There was nothing in her voice- no emotion.

Dally and I stopped laughing and smiling.

"What?" Dal asked quietly.

"You two did this to me. You're the reason I'm like this!"

"Mom, I don't-"

"I never want to see you two again! Go, go! Get out!"

"Where the hell will we go?" I had spat, standing up from the table. "What do you expect us to do?"

"Your father is in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Go there, for all I care."

So, Dally and I had left.

I had never seen my brother cry before and never had again, but for hours on the train, he had cried into my shoulder.

If mom was back, even if she was sorry, I didn't know that I could ever forgive her for doing that to Dally.  

I had to get to her before Dally. I had to find out if dad was telling the truth. And there was only one way do to that.

At about one, I was walking down the street to dad's house. I was almost shaking, and not because I was cold. With every step, I wanted to run back to somewhere safe, but the thought of Dallas meeting mom and getting hurt again kept me going.

It had taken me hours to convince myself to go. And when I had, I had stalled for hours. I had gone to see Two-Bit, then to the Curtis'. I had even stopped by the DX to see Soda and Steve.

I couldn't see Dally. I had no idea if he had found a place to hide or if he'd been caught. He could've even been doing the same thing I was, heading to dad's to see if he had been telling the truth.

I was on the doorstep to my old house way too soon.

I knocked, waited, then just went inside.

It was a mess, with bottles and cigarettes and dirty clothes coating the floor. It smelled like the world's worst bar, the scent of alcohol and a haze of smoke thick in the air.

"Dad?" I trudged through the trash, listening for a reply- or any noise, really. "Dad!"

I made my way into his bedroom.

He was sitting on the bed with a bottle of booze half empty in one hand. He was staring blankly at a picture he held in the other. I rolled my eyes at him, seeing his state. He was unshaven and sweaty. It had been at least a few days since his last shower and it was obvious.

"Dad!"

His head snapped up, his eyes bloodshot. "Ava?"