Chapter 70

After another day, I was released from the hospital. I just had to wear dark glasses outside to stop light from giving me a headache. I was also told to try and stay away from loud noises. They told me my ear would heal up on its own in a few months. 

I went to the phone and called the Curtis'. Darry picked up, and I asked him who had come home from the hospital and who had to stay. 

He told me that Johnny and Soda were the only two still there, Johnny with two broken ribs and Soda was supposed to be released that day. Johnny would be let out in another day or two. 

We were lucky. 

I asked Darry to come pick me up and he said he would. I was in the parking lot, wearing my dark-tinted glasses when I saw a car that looked a lot like Buck's new car pull up. 

I knew who it was. 

Dally jumped out once the car was kinda parked. Before I could react, he had me wrapped in a huge hug that hurt my ribs. 

"Goddammit, I knew I shouldn't have left." He released me and stepped back. "I missed you, you dumbass." There cuts and bruises on his face, but nothing like the rest of the gang.  

"I missed you too, asshole." I smiled, meaning what I said. He had only been gone a few days, but those days had been long ones. I liked having him around. "What are you doin' back in Tulsa?" 

He shook his head. "I should've stayed here. Fuckin' New York... it was terrible. There's no way I coulda made it another day up there." 

"But the money," I said. "You had a nice life up there." 

Dallas snorted. "Yeah, goin' to a dinner every night with some soc assholes was the nice life I've always wanted." He smirked. "Truth be told, I couldn't take another day without you and the gang around." 

"You told them that yet?" I started to walk towards the car. 

"Hell no. And they won't be hearin' it, either." He unlocked the car. "Give me a minute, will you? I'm gonna go see Soda and Johnny." 

"I'll come with-" 

"Nah, I wanna say hello alone." 

I nodded and got in the car, letting him do whatever he needed to let them know he was sorry for leaving. 

He pulled into the Curtis' yard, almost hitting Darry's truck. I hurried out of the car, wanting to see how everyone was holding up. 

I was met outside by Two-Bit, who, like Dally, gave me a bone-crushing hug. It also made my ribs ache, but I didn't say anything. He kissed me until Dally walked by us and cleared his throat. 

"I'll give you two a minute to yourselves," he grumbled as he went inside. 

We both started to laugh. 

"Are those shades designer?" he asked, still laughing. "I like 'em." 

"They're great, aren't they?" 

"So, what'd all the socs do to you?" 

I rattled off the injuries the doctor had told me about. 

"Damn," he said. "I got the broken nose-" he pointed to his nose, which was swollen and bruised- "and broken fingers, same as you." 

"What else?" 

"They knocked out a tooth or two, but molars so you can't see it too well. I got a few stitches behind the ear and here." He pointed to his leg. "They cut me with my own blade, those bastards. Luckily, Johnny knocked it away from them 'fore they could do much else with it. Got a cut lip, fractured a toe, bruised bones..." he shrugged. "Few other things." 

"I hate socs," I said. "Let's get inside so I can see some of the other guys." 

Everyone had the hell beat out of them. Soda got home eventually, catching a ride from Sandy. 

We all talked, having some fun despite our injuries. I knew we were all glad we weren't worse off than we were. 

Johnny came home the next day. We were all happy to see him, and he was happy to see us, too. Darry told him to stay with the Curtis' until he was better, or at least healed enough to go home. 

The cops talked to us all some more, but we all decided to not press charges. It would cost too much time and money to do so. 

Johnny actually got to meet Randy and Emily's parents, and they seemed to like him. Her dad gave permission to Johnny to continue seeing Emily, which was most likely out of pity. Johnny was just happy that he and Emily had approval to date. 

Dally moved back into Bucks. The day Johnny got out of the hospital, he pulled me aside. 

"Mom and I figured somethin' out," he explained. "She told me she can send us some money once a month to help us live on." 

"What do you mean by 'some money'? Enough to eat on, or..." 

He shrugged. "I don't know." 

It turned out to be enough to buy clothes and food with, with a little left over. 

I started to write mom every week or so, first just to say thanks. But I kept doing it, mostly because I started to like to hear from her. 

Days after the fight, I sat on the Curtis' couch. The gang was all there, all of us watching TV and eating cake. Two-Bit was laughing next to me, his arm around my shoulders. Dally was in the armchair, messing with Johnny and Pony. Soda and Steve were arm wrestling, a little less rowdy than usual. Darry was trying to read the newspaper in the kitchen but would shout something every once in a while at us all. 

I knew this was where I belonged. I knew all of the gang would be my family for the rest of my life. I could only hope that we would survive to become adults. 

With our lives, that seemed pretty unlikely. 

There it is, everyone... the final chapter. Simply a Greaser is complete. 

This has been amazing for me, writing this story. I hope it's been equally as fun for you to read it. Thank you, everyone and anyone, that has read this story. All votes, comments, and reads make my day every time I see them. Hopefully, I'll soon be starting another story! Keep your eyes open for it! 

Should I write an epilogue chapter, when they're adults?  Let me know in the comments!