Chapter 31

I didn't take as long as I had on the first date to get ready. I wore clothes that I would normally wear, and I just brushed my hair, not straightening it or anything like that. I didn't visit Stacey either.

I was sure that if I did any of that, everyone would notice that something was up, especially Dally, being his overprotective self and all.

I stepped out of the Curtis' bathroom, waved goodbye to the gang members who were at the house, and walked to the Dingo.

Two-Bit and I were sure we wouldn't see any of them today because Soda, Darry, and Steve were working, Dal was extremely hungover, and Pony and Johnny were going to stay put since Pony was grounded for sneaking out to see a movie when he was already grounded for going to the drag race.

Two-But was supposed to be too hungover to function and I was 'babysitting'. I didn't want to lie but Dally wasn't safe to tell.

I sat at a booth and waited for Two-Bit. We were having an early lunch. I was a few minutes early which was surprising, so I went ahead and ordered a milkshake for myself.

He walked in a few minutes later, looking around for me and smiling when he caught sight of me. He sat down in the booth across from me and we began to talk, laughing and having a good time.

We got our food after a while and the conversation slacked as we ate. When we were done, he asked for another two milkshakes and I wasn't complaining about it.

"So, how's your sister been?" I asked.

"She's good. Misses you and Jackson a lot, but she has other friends from the school year."

"Yeah? How about your mom?" I'd only met her one or two times, but I liked Two-Bit's Mom. She was nice and worked her ass off so she could support Two-Bit and his sister.

He shrugged. "Same as always, workin' a bunch."

The waitress sat down our shakes, ending the conversation as she asked if we wanted anything else.

She left and Two-Bit said, "I got the bill."

"Thanks." Jokingly, I asked, "Where you gettin' all that money from anyways?"

"Won it gamblin' a few days ago. I got good luck."

"Hopefully some of that luck will rub off on me."

He grinned as he said, "It has. Scorin' a date with me takes damn good luck."

I rolled my eyes and took the last sip of my shake. He was done too and the waitress came back with the bill. He threw down some money and we left, him thinking about something the entire time.

Once we were near the doors, he glanced at my face and grinned.

"Hey, you got somethin' on your face," he muttered. "Right-" he gently put his hand on my face- "here."

He leaned in and kissed me, pulling up his other hand and cupping my face. I put my hands on his waist and kissed him back.

I heard the door open next to me but ignored it until we pulled away, both of us smiling.

Two-Bit's eyes flashed behind me and got wide.

I looked over my shoulder and saw Darry, sweaty and tired, with other guys that looked like construction workers, staring at the two of us like we had two heads.

"Hi, Darry," Two-Bit said lamely.

"...hi." Darry started laughing at us. "I didn't think you'd have the balls to ask her out!"

Two-Bit grumbled, "Thanks."

"What are you even doin' here?" I asked, embarrassed and wishing he hadn't walked in.

"Got done with a house early." Darry paused and asked, "Does Dallas know?"

"No," I said, "and we're keeping it that way."

Darry frowned. "I'd just tell him. The longer you wait, the madder he's gonna get when you tell him."

"I know how to deal with my brother." Okay, that was a lie, but he was still my brother. I knew him better than most.

One of the construction workers called Darry over. He said goodbye and went over to the table.

Two-Bit and I walked to his car. We had decided at lunch to go back to his house to watch some TV without the gang around. We could watch his little sister while his mom was at work which made things easier for her.

We got into the car and he peeled out, trying to impress me. In response, I just put my seatbelt.

"Okay, be that way."

"Sorry I don't wanna die."

He put on his seatbelt at the next stop sign.

Just as he started to go at the stop sign, a car going fast came barreling towards us.

It's tries screeched as it tried to stop, but the car was going too fast.

It hit Two-Bit's side of the car, pushing his car to the side. I slammed against the door, pain exploding in my shoulder as I felt something pop.

Someone was shouting something from outside of the car, and suddenly my car door was thrown open.

"Are you okay?!" Someone was yelling in my face. I just nodded, trying to ignore my shoulder.

"Check on him," I mumbled.

I undid my seatbelt with my good arm and walked out of the car. I wanted to scream at whoever had crashed into us, but when I saw the car, I stopped.

It was Buck's car.

The people that had yelled in my face earlier told me to sit down but I brushed them off.

"Buck?!" I called, tilting my head.

Two-Bit crawled through the passenger's side door. I could see his leg, and it was fucked up. He leaned against the car, panting.

I walked over to him, seeing blood running down his face.

"Jesus Christ!" I yelled, sitting down next to him. Fuck Buck, that dumbass. Two-Bit looked like he was in bad shape.

My arm sent stabs of pain through what seemed like my entire body.

"Oh my god," Two-Bit muttered, his eyes wide, "your arm..."

I looked at my arm and saw my shoulder hanging too low to be normal.

One I saw the injury the pain increased monumentally and tears sprung up in my eyes. I looked at Two-Bit and saw he was holding back tears as well, avoiding looking at his leg at all costs.

An ambulance and some cop cars showed up, and we got in the ambulance.

I watched as they pulled Buck out of his car. But it wasn't Buck.

It was Dally.