Chapter 59

I walked into the Curtis and saw everybody but Dally and Two-Bit there. Darry was the only one not watching TV- he was in the kitchen, eating something. 

As soon as I sat down, Soda asked, "Where have you been all day?" 

"Why? Was Dally askin'?" 

"Kinda. Said he wanted to talk to you. I figured where you were all day might have somethin' to do with the talk." 

I rolled my eyes. "Since you have to know, I was with Two-Bit." 

I regretted telling the truth. They immediately started in on me, and it was funny for the first minute. It got old quick. 

"Where's Dally, anyway?" I yelled over them, getting up. "I'll go have that talk with him now..." I was nervous, but if it was so important, he would come to find me. Right? 

Darry answered from the kitchen. "Buck's place!" 

"Thanks!" I shouted back, going to the door. "See you guys later." 

Dally was in his room. He didn't seem mad; actually, he seemed kind of happy. I sat down on his bed. 

"Before I start talkin'," he said slowly, "you gotta promise to listen to me." 

I nodded, saying, "When do I not listen to you? What's goin' on?" 

"Okay-" he gave me a small smile- "I've been talkin' to mom ever since we got back from New York. She knows that we... ain't in the best livin' situation." 

"What do you mean-" 

"Listen!" he barked. I shut my mouth. "She talked to James and he said that we could go live with them." 

He stopped talking to let his words sink in. I blinked, trying to wrap my head around this. Live with them? In New York, away from the gang? With mom? 

"You... you think that I wanna go live in New York?" 

Dally shrugged. "That's how I felt at first, but Ava, you gotta realize that they got a lotta money that could help us a lot." 

"I don't care about the money," I said, trying to stay calm. "I don't wanna live with her. And that's final." 

I could tell Dally was getting agitated. "You're not listening to me, Ava. I don't wanna leave either, but-" 

"But what? Then don't leave." I stood up. "I'm goin' back to the Curtis'. Tell mom I'm not livin' in fucking New York." 

"Goddammit! It's not that simple!" 

I stopped with my hand on the doorknob. "Why not?" 

"Twenty years from now, do you still wanna live in this shitty little town, with a shitty little house and a job you fuckin' hate? Or do you wanna live somewhere nice, with nice things, and not have to worry 'bout things like money?" Dally scoffed, shaking his head. "I know which of those I like more." 

I stopped. He was right, and I knew it, and that was what made me so mad. If I stayed in Tulsa, chances were that I was never gonna leave. With mom's help, I could go to college. I could get a good job and make my own money, and end up in a big house. It sounded too good to be true. 

But I had a life in Tulsa. I had the best friends anyone could ask for. I had the best brother anyone could ask for in Tulsa, too, but I might lose him to money. To money. That wasn't all this was about, of course- he needed mom more than I ever had. 

"You go," I said. "You go, but I-I can't leave." 

"You have to." 

"I can... I can make it outta this town without mom's help, Dallas!" I said sharply, again turning to leave. "I have friends here, and you do, too. You don't wanna leave them." 

"No, I don't, but I'm smart enough to know why I should. Think about this, Ava. Promise me you'll think on it." 

I opened the door. "I will." 

I got back to the Curtis' and immediately grabbed a beer. I went to the couch and plopped down next to Johnny. Sighing, I opened the beer and took a swig, my eyes not leaving the TV screen. 

"How'd your midnight date with Emily go?" I propped my feet up on the table. 

He smiled. "It went good. We're meetin' again at the same time next week." 

"Good." I couldn't help but smile, too. "When's the gang gonna get to meet her?" 

"When she wants to meet y'all. She's still a little, um, scared, I guess, of some greasers." 

"Especially my brother?" 

He didn't answer me, just kinda shrugged, but we both knew it was true. Lucky for him, she wouldn't have to worry about him for much longer. I closed my eyes and tried to think of anything but New York. 

I heard the door open and hoped it wasn't Dally. Opening my eyes, I saw Two-Bit, also with a beer, walking through the door. I tried to smile at him, but when he saw me, he turned away and struck up a conversation with Soda. 

I went back to watching TV and talking to Johnny. I soon needed another beer. 

By the time it was midnight, I was half asleep on the couch. There were a few beer bottles on the table in front of me, and I had a buzz, but nothing enough to be bad. I was pretty much just tired and wanted to sleep. 

Two-Bit and I hadn't said a word to each other since he'd gotten there. I tried to brush it off, and I almost could. I was preoccupied with the fact that Dally wanted me to move to New York and live with mom, James, and him, not to mention their baby that was on the way. Dally hadn't ever come to the Curtis', and I was almost sure he was drinking a lot more heavily than I was. 

Pretty soon, I had drifted off and was asleep.