Chapter 17

I could feel myself shaking even more as someone lead me to the couch and let me sit down.

"Ava, are- what happened? I didn't mean to throw that beer at you, okay? Just meant to throw it at the wall. Jesus Christ, I'm so sorry." Dallas sounded panicked.

I shook my head no, trying to breathe enough.

"Just don't hurt me, I'm sorry!"

Someone grabbed my shoulder again. "Calm down, you're alright-"

I jerked away from them.

"I'm gonna get her in the bedroom, giver her some space." Someone picked me up and took me into a bedroom and gently put me on the bed, closing the door behind them.

Hours later, after sleeping for a bit, I was calm enough to leave Soda and Pony's bedroom and apologize for freaking out. Talk about ruining everyone's night. I wouldn't be shocked if everyone was mad- leave it to me to fuck up everything, as always.

I still felt on-edge when I left their room, but I told myself to get over it.

I cleared my throat and quickly got everyone's attention. I noticed Darry was home now. Great. Just great.

"Uh... I'm sorry for-"

"Don't even finish that sentence." Dallas was pissed, I could tell by his voice.

They were all mad at me just like I thought. I felt my chest tighten again.

"Really, I'm s-sorry. I didn't mean to just- just freak out like that and I won't ever do it again, I promise. I can leave if you-"

"We ain't mad," Two-Bit said gently.

Darry stood up and I took a step back, still on high-alert.

Darry looked sad momentarily, then asked, "Do you want anythin' to eat or drink?"

"He brought home Dairy Queen for you." Dallas looked at the ground, away from me. "I know it's your favorite."

"And I can turn on the TV," Pony offered, then moved off the couch. "Sit down."

I just nodded and took his spot, not really sure what to do.

Darry took the Dairy Queen out of the fridge and dropped it onto my lap. I ate quietly, just really happy that I had friends like them.

"What happened?" Steve asked quietly, turning the volume on the TV down.

I shrugged. I didn't want to talk about it. "I just was bein' stupid, I guess."

"No." Dallas went rigid, obviously trying not to yell. "That wasn't nothing. I only seen someone freak like that once." He sent a subtle glance at Johnny.

"I don't wanna talk about it."

"But you're gonna anyway." Dallas rubbed his temples and muttered something under his breath.

"I want to go to bed."

"No."

"Don't push her, Dal," Soda advised like I wasn't sitting right next to him. "You can tell us later if you-"

"He's right, Soda." Two-Bit locked his jaw and nodded to himself. "Ava, people don't just do that. We can help you, whatever it is. You can trust us."

He was right. I could trust them, they were my friends. They were good people. I nodded at them.

"I... I don't know, I guess I just thought of Dad," I admitted, not really lying. I wasn't telling the whole truth, but that was the most I'd ever told anyone.

"Yeah, that was obvious. But what was the whole screamin' 'don't hurt me!' bit about?" Dallas asked.

I think everyone knew what I was about to say.

"Dad- well, you know, he gets real mad sometimes, and-and just goes off, and sometimes he'll hit me or somethin', but it really ain't a big deal."

"How long has this been goin' on?" Dallas was clenching and unclenching his fists.

I shrugged. "Happened a few weeks after you left for the first time."

I wanted to go back to sleep. I didn't want to talk anymore.

"Can I please go to sleep? We can talk more when I wake up."

Dallas nodded, saying, "But you ain't gonna go home. You can stay at Buck's in my room tonight."

"Yeah, okay."

We walked into Buck's, Dallas glaring at anyone who looked at me at all.

"You want a drink?"

"No."

We went upstairs. Dallas opened door to his room and groaned.

A blonde girl with blue eyes was sitting on his bed, looking at pictures.

I sadly recognized her as Sylvia, his whore girlfriend.

"What the fuck are you doin' here?" Dallas asked, running a hand through his hair. "Never mind. Just get out."

"I'm so sorry, Dal. I- I don't know- who is that?" She stopped talking, thank God, and pointed at me. If I weren't so tired, I might've tackled her.

"My sister, you bitch. Now leave. We can talk later."

Sylvia opened her mouth to say something, but I said in the coldest voice I could, "My brother might be too decent to hit you, but I ain't."

Sylvia stood up and left, leaving what dignity she had in Dallas' room.

"Dumbass bitch. Seriously." Dallas rolled his eyes and dug through his drawers, eventually pulling out some of his clothes for me to change into. After I changed, he came back into the room with a beer and water. "Take whichever, I don't care."

I took the water a chugged it all, then laid down.

"Thanks, Dally." I tried out his nickname and decided it was alright.

"Call me if you need anythin'. I'll be downstairs."

"Goodnight."

"Night, Ava."

I woke up to light on my face, coming in through the single, dusty window. I sat up and blinked, trying to shake away the memory of the nightmare I'd had.

Looking around, I couldn't find Dallas anywhere. I figured he was out and about or had spent the night at the Curtis' since I had taken his bed.

I took a quick shower and put on my old clothes, not caring that they were dirty.

I went downstairs and found Johnny and Pony sitting at the bar.

"Hey, guys." I sat next to Johnny and smiled. "What's up."

"Uh, well..." Johnny looked at the counter.

Pony spoke up, looking at me sympathetically. "Dal got arrested last night."