Chapter 35

Johnny and I walked back into the room where Soda and Two-Bit were talking quietly. Pony was standing off to the side, ignoring the two of them, not looking all that interested. 

"What was all that about?" Two-Bit asked, glancing away from Soda and at Johnny and me. 

I shrugged, muttering, "Nothin', just saw somebody we both know." I didn't want to tell Two-Bit because he was stressed enough as it was, with the upcoming rumble, his leg, and Dally being an asshole. Anyways, I was hoping that Johnny seeing my dad meant nothing, like when we had seen him outside of the gas station. 

"Okay... um, how much longer do you think your bother'll be?" 

"Not much, unless he got lost or somethin'." 

"Where is Dal at?" Soda asked as if he just realized Dally wasn't there. "I figured that he wouldn't leave you two alone for at least another year." 

"He went to get Katie," I said. "How'd you find out about us?"

"I went to see Dal with the other guys. He was pissed and told us what he knew, and what he, uh, thought was goin' on."

"Wow." I shook my head. "I bet that was fun for you guys to hear."

"Terrific, really," Pony sarcastically said, rolling his eyes. "Put some great images in my head." 

I wanted to disappear as I imagined what Dally had said. 

"Hey, does anyone got a smoke? I've been dyin' for one," Two-Bit asked, breaking the awkward silence that had fallen on the room. "I ran out." 

Johnny handed him a smoke, but as soon as Two-Bit took a drag, a nurse waltzed in. 

"Get that out of your mouth, young man! No smoking in this room!" Two-Bit sighed and dropped it on the floor, where the nurse crushed it underfoot. "You hooligans get out while I checkup on Mr. Mathews!" 

We left, closing the door behind us, but not before I mouthed 'good luck' to him.  

"I feel bad about the rumble," Soda admitted, "but there's not much we can do." 

"Rumble? What rumble?" Dally was down the hall, dragging Katie behind him with a beer in one hand and a cigarette hanging out of his mouth. He let go of Katie's hand and she ran into Two-Bit's room. 

"Two-Bit!" she yelled, running to his bed and jumping on him. 

"Hey, Katie," he said, hugging her in a bear-hug. "How you been?"

The nurse smiled and left, pushing past us, right before Katie answered, "Like shit! You're not home so I got nothin' to do!"

I started to laugh with Dally, Soda, Pony, and Johnny while Two-Bit yelled, "Where did you learn that word?!"

"From Dally!"

I laughed even harder as Two-Bit muttered, "Of course." 

"Consider it payback," Dallas said seriously, shrugging. "But it don't look like you two got up to much, not with these three here." 

Soda ignored Dally, telling him, "Steve got jumped a few hours ago and the socs want a rumble." 

Dallas smiled widely. "How long till it happens?" 

"About three weeks," Johnny said, seeming nervous. I was sure he didn't want to be in the rumble because of how bad socs had hurt him before, but there was no way he would back out from the rumble. Everyone, both socs, and greasers, would consider him a coward. Two-Bit would get an excuse because of his leg, but he was bummed about the situation anyways. I figured that they would love to trade places with each other. 

"Gonna be a long three weeks," Dally said, "waitin' for the rumble." 

"Yeah, it will be," Two-Bit agreed. "Especially when you can't even walk."

Dally scoffed and rolled his eyes. "Why don't you hop off the self-pity bus? It's not my fault you can't walk."

"It actually is." 

"Shut up, Ava." 

Katie stuck her tongue out at Dally, which he deserved. He flipped her off and started talking to Johnny and Pony, turning his back to Two-Bit and Katie. Soda and I glanced at each other and both started talking to Two-Bit and Katie. 

Eventually, we realized we'd let an injured Steve all alone for a couple of hours. I volunteered to walk Katie home and stay with her until Two-Bit's mom got home. 

Dallas left first to go apologize to Buck. He was going to catch a ride from Sylvia, who he had called earlier. I didn't know why we hadn't thought of her when we initially tried to leave, but we hadn't. 

I left with Soda, Pony, Johnny, and Katie a few minutes later after we said goodbye to Two-Bit. After a few blocks, we had to split up. 

"Can we get some food?" she asked, walking beside me. "I haven't eaten since breakfast."

"Yeah, we can go to the Dingo." 

As soon as the waitress had set down our food, a group of three soc boys, two with girls on their arms, walked into the Dingo. I was hoping that because their girls were with them and I had a kid with me, the boys would leave me alone. They shouldn't have even been at the Dingo since it was greaser ground, but there wasn't anything I could do about it. 

I watched them the entire meal. They had sat a few booths behind Katie and I and were ignoring us both. I only caught a few glares which I returned quickly. 

After Katie had finished, she went to the bathroom. I waited for her in the booth, swallowing my nerves when one of the soc girls went into the bathroom after her. 

When two of the soc guys got out of their booth and walked my way, I knew something was wrong. 

I tried to act cool as I stood up. One smirked while the other had a frown, and the third soc looked like he was talking to his girl. I was sure that they wouldn't pull anything inside the Dingo, but I would be fair game when I left. I would just somehow have to get Katie safe, then figure out something to save myself. 

Happy Easter everybody!!