Chapter 12

Pony, Two-Bit, Johnny, Jackson, and I walked to the Dingo, enjoying the nice summer day and trying to escape from my idiot older brother. Jackson talked the entire time and did so very loudly, so none of us could really get a word in.

After we ate, I dropped Jackson off back at his house because his parents were back. His parents were nice but odd, and always went on 'day trips' that only lasted a few hours. I didn't really give a shit, though, as long as I got my money for watching the kid. And, unlike most parents, they never questioned where I got all my beautiful bruises from. I guess they just didn't really care.

We got back to Pony's house a few minutes later. Dallas was watching TV and chain-smoking, a very healthy habit to have.

When we got in he gave me and Two-Bit an annoyed glare, but focused back on the TV.

Dallas was on my last nerve.

We all started to play a card game, except for Dallas, who just pouted like a little kid.

Eventually, my headache came back. I paused the game and asked Pony, "You got some medicine for a headache I can take?"

Pony nodded and got some Aspirin. I took two and dry swallowed them both.

"You feelin' okay?" Dallas asked, finally breaking his sullen silence that I beginning to enjoy.

"Yes," I said coldly, rolling my eyes. I hated how he acted like he cared, but didn't. If he cared, he wouldn't have left me with Dad.

Dallas sighed heavily and muttered something under his breath. I ignored him, not feeling like fighting with him.

After a while, Two-Bit said something funny that I laughed at. That ticked Dallas off for some reason and he and Two-Bit started to bicker on and off.

Eventually, Soda and Steve came home, then Darry.

I stood up, stretched, and announced that I was going home.

"Do you need a ride again?" Two-Bit asked helpfully.

I remembered his dad had reacted the night before, then looked at Dallas's face- he looked horrified at the thought of Two-Bit giving me a ride home.

"Yeah, let's go."

We hurried outside and jumped into the car, speeding off, both of us giggling.

A few minutes later, Two-Bit asked, "How far do you want me to drop you off from your house?"

"Further away." I switched stations on the radio, searching for a song I liked.

"Your Dad see us?"

I nodded.

"What's he do?" Two-Bit slowed down, then took one hand off the steering wheel to take a drink from his beer. "You know, when you get in trouble?"

"Ground me." I crossed my arms, leaving the radio alone, trying to show this was a bad subject.

Two-Bit narrowed his eyes and commented, "Odd way to ground you- let you run around all day."

"It's not really your business."

"Okay, okay." He thought for a second, then asked, "What exactly happened with those socs?"

I told him the story and could see him getting madder and madder with each word.

"Fuckin' assholes," he muttered. "If you see 'em again, just tell me and I'll take care of them."

"Thanks, I guess." I swallowed, then timidly asked, "Do you know how I can calm Dallas down a little?"

Maybe he was a total douche bag, but he was my brother and I wanted to try and have a good relationship with him.

Two-Bit shrugged. "Just try and let him cool down for a while. Probably would be best if we don't hang out alone anymore. Don't argue with him either."

I nodded. "I'll try."

"I guess I can stop arguin' with him too, 'specially if it's important to you."

I looked out the window as Two-Bit and I lapsed into a comfortable silence. Eventually, I told him to stop the car and he did, and I walked the rest of the way home.

The next day, I decided to call Stacey and see what she was doing. She was volunteering at the hospital, something she did often because she wanted to be a nurse, so we agreed to meet up after. I was going to walk and find her after her shift.

I walked for about twenty minutes when I heard shrill screaming.

Snapping my head to the right, where the noise was coming from, I walked cautiously towards the screaming, then began to run when I realized it was probably a little kid's wails.

I skidded to a stop when I saw a little girl, probably about 7 or 8, lying on the ground and screaming in pain, holding an arm that was obviously hurt.

"Oh my god," I muttered, kneeling by the kid. She looked at me through gray eyes clouded with spilled tears and stopped screaming, but started to sob loudly. Not thinking, I said, "I'm gonna take you to the hospital."

She nodded and sniffled, but kept crying. She shakily stood up and held her arm close to her chest. I was mortified to see blood was spreading from her arm to her white clothes.

I stood up with her, looked down at her expression that was filled with pain, and picked her up. I ran as hard as I could to the hospital without jarring her arm.

Only when we got to the lobby did I stop and think.

I had no clue who's kid this was.

But she was hurt and I was getting her help.

A doctor took her back, and then a nurse handed me a clipboard asking questions about the kid I didn't know the answers to.

I walked to the reception desk and cleared my throat. "Uh, I don't actually know any of this information," I muttered, looking at everything but the receptionist's eyes.

"You don't know this information?"

"No."

"Well, could you call your parents and ask them?"

"I don't know that kid."

"What?" The receptionist blinked in surprise, then shook her head. "Do you think this is funny?"

"Seriously! I found her outside cryin', and I took her here!"

The receptionist tapped her fingers on her desk and said, "We can ask her about her parents when she calms down, I guess. But until then, I suggest you stay here."