Chapter ten: Fifteen Years Too Late

15 years later.

Sam's POV

"George, come here now and get dressed!" I yelled at my seven year old son.

"No, daddy." His short legs ran around the living room as I chased him. After a while, I just gave up.

"Sweetie, why do you look like you've just done a marathon?" My wife, Jessica, said to me as she kissed me on the cheek.

Jess had changed a lot since we had our first child when we were both seventeen. That one night stand ended up getting her pregnant. We named her Juliet and she changed our lives. Jess ended up being the high school slut to my high school sweetheart.

"Where's Julie?" I asked about our fifteen year old daughter who was in high school.

"Upstairs getting ready for school." Jess said as she walked into the living room.

My mind turned to Jamie again like any other day. I had never forgotten Jamie. She was still on my mind till this day and they never found a trace of her.

*Flashback*

"What?" I asked, shocked.

"We found several bodies in the lake and non of them were identified as Jamie." Detective Brennan said. I still felt guilty, Lucas and Hillary weren't talking to me since they found out Jessica was pregnant with my child. "But we are happy to say that the killer has been caught and he is in custody. His full name is Lennie Small and we also found another lady who was part of it was his sister, named Mary Small." He finished and I was shocked.

"What about Jamie?" I asked, furiously.

"She hasn't been found, no remains, evidence or anything like that. I'm sorry but we have to move on and close the case, it's been too long." Detective Brennan said as he left my house.

I ended up in tears and I felt that I had to move on too.

*Flashback ends*

Hillary and Lucas got over it but, it took them months to forgive me and we moved on not knowing what ever happened to the beautiful Jamie Summers. We still kept in touch and hopefully we would for the rest of our lives.

"Ready!" I heard Juliet said as she ran down the stairs.

"I'll take them today sweetie, you stay home and rest." Jess said as she had both kids out the door ready when I couldn't even get my seven year old dressed and ready. She was super women and I loved her. I still loved Jamie too.

Today was my day off from training on the football team, I was representing the USA. Jess worked at a beauty parlour. Hilary was a dress designer in honour of Haylee and Lucas was a therapist with a wife and a kid of his own.

Hillary hadn't settled down yet, I guess she missed  her two best friends, after fifteen years.

I sat down to hear the doorbell ring and I quickly sighed and jumped up to answer it. "Hey guys, this is so unexpected. Come in." I saw Hillary and Lucas' smiles as they entered my house.

"Haven't seen you in a while." Hillary said.

"Two years." I shrugged.

"I guess we have all got our own lives now." Lucas said with a smile.

We sat down in the living room and we chatted for a while about life. "I still have dreams about her, you know?" I said with sadness.

"It's okay. We all miss her." A tear slipped down Hillary cheek and I placed my hand on her knee, signalling that I was always here for her.

"How are you and your dad after your mom?" I asked to Lucas.

"We're doing better than we were two years ago." He gave a faint smile. Lucas' mom died from committing suicide because she couldn't handle not having Jamie around. Lucas' dad was not doing well the last time I saw him. I guess I wanted to give them some space.

As the day went on, we chatted about the silly things. Like what Jamie did back in freshmen year and before we knew it, it was time for Hillary and Lucas to leave. They lived pretty close so they could get a cab together.

"I'll call you a cab." I said as I got up from my seat and I rang the taxi place.

"Five minutes." I told them.

"Thanks." They both said.

I always wondered what life would have been like if Jamie never got taken.

I waved goodbye to Hillary and Lucas as the cab arrived. "Let's keep in touch this time." I yelled and they nodded with agreement. I smiled as I closed the front door. I sat back down and wondered what Jamie and I would be doing if she was here right now.

Would we have gotten married? Have kids of our own? Grew old together? Somethings were just not meant to be. I think Jess knew that I would always love Jamie. After all, she was my first love.

*

I stood at the front door of the Summers' residents. I thought I better pay a visit to Kyle, after Karen died I hadn't really kept in touch lately. I knocked on the door and waited for a reply.

"Sam Carter," Kyle smiled, "what a nice surprise." He opened the door wider and I let myself in.

"How've you been?" I asked.

"Oh you know, getting on with life." He said as we sat down on the kitchen table.

"How have you been? How's your two children?" He asked nicely and I was glad he didn't hate me for moving on.

"They're good." I faintly smiled. We chatted and not once had he mentioned Jamie or Karen. Was that a good thing?

"Missing Jamie and Karen, eh?" I decided to bring it up since he wouldn't.

His smile dropped a little each second as I was waiting for a reply. "Of course, dreaming about what could have been with my girls here." he smiled a bit more. We chatted and then I had to go, been a busy day and I was tired. I said my goodbyes to Kyle and I left to drive home thirty minutes away. I told him I would visit often, I needed to keep in contact with my old friends from my past, Jess wouldn't mind. She was understanding like that.

Thirty minutes and I was home. I could sit on the couch and relax and watch some American Football. And just to watch it for fun, I usually watched it for tips and tricks for when I played but not today. I heard another knock on the door just as I sat down.

"Are you kidding me?" I yelled, annoyed. I walked lazily over to the door and opened it slightly and I didn't recognise her at first. I then opened it more and studied this person who stood in front of me.

It couldn't be. Was it? I felt like I couldn't speak at first until my mouth moved and my eyes filled with tears. "Jamie? Is that you?" I asked, shocked.

"Hey, Sam." It was the same voice that I hadn't heard in fifteen years.

It really was her and I couldn't believe it.