Chapter twenty one: The Past.

Flashing cameras and questions were being fired at me. I looked behind me to Mark and Chris and they decided to speak up as I didn't know what to say.

"One question at a time please!" Mark said as it fell silent and one reporter asked her first question of many.

"What happened to you all these years?" and I squinted at the question.

I tried to reply the best way possible. "Let's just say, I didn't run away. Many things happened that are hard to explain."

I stopped and another question had been asked by a familiar voice. "How did you come back, Jamie?" I followed the voice and saw Ms. Tate.

Oh, what a joy.

"I guess I remembered who I was and I found my way back to the people I love." I replied and she was shocked by the answer I gave.

She glared at me for a few minutes before leaving the crowd of people. A few other questions that were similar to the ones before were being shot at me and I think I gave pretty good answers."How are you dealing with things?" A man asked.

"Good, now that I have reunited with my family." I replied with a small smile.

I saw Mrs. Tate return and she pushed through the front. She stepped on a few stairs and onto the stage.

"Excuse me m'am, you can't be up here." Chris placed out both his hands and pushed her to the edge and I looked back and decided to butt in.

"It''s fine, I know her." I said and everyone behind me looked confused but I stepped out of her way and let her speak. But this couldn't be good. Why did I do that?

It all fell silent as all the reporters and camera crew look confused. "Hello. My name is Hannah Tate. But Jaime knows me as Ms. Tate. I was Jamie's counsellor back in Texas' Mental correctional centre as Jamie didn't know who she was, only her first name. She was suffering with depression and panic attacks at time and she wrote in a diary to help her. She had been having dreams about what I'm amusing is her kidnapper and after a year or so she didn't have depression anymore but she had a few panic attacks once in a while. She then met a guy named Jack who was suffering from Anxiety, they were in a relationship and broke out of our facility and ran for years, stopping off until they reached to California and we have been tracking them since and now that Jack is dead, it's just Jamie that we are after."

The crowd was going wild with writing things down and firing questions as gasped were heard and I was shocked. I looked back and everyone I knew was shocked too.

She then answered questions. "How did she break out? How could a facility like that let that happen?" A reporter asked.

She replied. "We still don't know." She answered more irrelevant questions until she explained more. "Jamie's memory has recovered well and seeing her family helped, she is better now but breaking out is an offence and she and Jack should be punished but now that Jack is dead, Jamie should be arrested." And the crowd whispered.

I was stunned.

"Hold on. You can't punish her, she was there because you put her there. She never wanted to be there. All she and this Jack guy wanted was freedom and you prevented that. Jamie wanted her life that she knew she had somewhere in her memories so she broke out to find it." Sam said on live television and I smiled.

"Okay, ladies and gentlemen that's the end of this conference." Mark said as he led us inside the police building, leaving Ms. Tate speechless.

"I swear she just wants to get back at me for something." I told everyone and they all agreed at once.

"That was a success apart from when Ms. Tate started with her speech." Chris mentioned and everyone else agreed again.

I took a deep breath and collected my thoughts. It was over, I could move on.

*

It was the morning of a new life for Jamie Summers and I was glad I was here. Dad was out of hospital and he was back at home with Jacob, he was staying with him for a while.

I sat on the couch and watched the news and I was all over it, on every channel and there were parts of the interview in front of the police station as well. It reminded me of that morning I spent in front of the TV before school watching the news about Kaylee Smith and her tragic murder.

But it was all in the past and we would never forget what happened, because it changed all our lives. Forever.

"Jamie Summers is back. Jamie disappeared fifteen years ago and no body was found. Now she shows up and apparently she was in Texas in a mental facility not knowing who she was until just recently."

And then I saw Lucas on TV answering a few questions. He also did an interview before the day was over.

Reporter: "How does it feel to have your sister back?"

Lucas: "It's amazing, I never thought I would see her again. I missed her so much and now she is actually here and it's great."

Reporter: "I assumed you would have moved on with your life?"

Lucas: "Well, yeah. We had no choice when they found no body and the head of the department closed the case. Everyone moved on but we never forgot her, not for a minute."

Reporter: "It was a pleasure to speak with you Lucas, hope you, Jamie and your family live the rest of your lives in peace."

Lucas: "Thank you and we will live it to the fullest."

That interview made me smile. "Aw, Lucas, such lovely words." I said in a baby voice just like when we were kids.

"Shut up." He said as he watched the rest of the morning news with me. And I smiled because I missed that.

We had missed so many years and poor Jacob, I never saw him grow up and it must have been hard on a twelve year old growing up without a sister he once knew. I went and did my own thing for a while until Sam and Hillary bursted through the door with Mark and Chris behind them as they all stepped forward in the living room.

"What's wrong?" I asked, looking worried. "You look like you've seen a ghost."

"It's Lennie and Mary Small." Mark said in a huff. What now? Geez, just as I was about to start my life again.

"My kidnappers?" I asked, not to familiar with their names yet. Lucas jumped up and stood next to me.

"Yes." Chris said.

"What about them?" Lucas sounded annoyed that they barged in like that without knocking.

"They have escaped," Mark said unexpectedly, "they're on the loose and they're probably coming for you."