Chapter 7

Rayne

Everything was fine during the meeting. People were calm while my parents talk to everyone. Caden lets me lean onto his chest as he writes down information on his working schedule.

My daddy starts talking to Adrian. Sage then pushes his chair back and growls. I turn towards daddy, who wears a panicked look as Sage charges at Adrian and Fallon.

I push myself out of the chair as Sage's fingernails turn into long wolf claws. The Warriors try to block him, but all he has to do is a snarl, and all the warriors back down. Sage is an Alpha so he could get them to back down with a single look.

"Sage," dad yells in his Alpha voice. "Stop this right now!"

Sage ignore dad, as his wolf is already far too surfaced for him to hear dad speak to him.

I stand up and run towards a snarling Fallon and a cowering Adrian. Sage raises his hand above his head.

I slide in front of them right when Sage swipes his clawed hand down. His claws slashed across my chest. Small beads of blood begin to deep through the cuts before pouring out of my wounds.

I gasp as Sage is tackled to the ground by my dad and Uncle Wade. I lose my balance and fall back into Fallon and Adrian, who catches me. They lower me into the ground slowly and I whimper in pain.

Adrian presses his small hands against the wounds, bunching up my shirt in the process. The last thing I see is Caden and daddy rushing towards me before my world goes black...

I wake up to the beeping of a machine next to me. I lay in an uncomfortable hospital bed with IVs hooked up to my arms. Piercing into my veins.

I look to my left and spot Astra sitting in a wooden chair next to me. She smiles and reaches over to take my hand. I try to sit up but a searing pain in my chest stops me from doing so. I gasp sharply and lie back down onto the pillow.

"Rayne," Astra says. "Do you remember what happened?"

I don't remember. I search my mind for an explanation as to why I am here. Then... it all comes back to me. Sage standing up from his seat. Sage attacking me.

"I- where is Sage?" I ask Astra. My voice coming out hoarse.

"Your dad detained him until they could figure out what drove him to attack Fallon sand his mate. How are you feeling?" Astra runs her hand through my hair.

I let out a small whine in the back of my throat.

"Everything hurts..." Something moves beside me and I jump, gasping at the pain in my chest. A large blonde wolf lays next to me.

Caden.

"He freaked out when Sage hurt you. He knew that would heal at human speed because he is an Alpha. We all thought you were going to bleed out on the floor. He shifted into his wolf and growled at anyone who came near you. Doctor Collins had to use multiple tranquilizer darts to get him to fall asleep. He should be waking up any minute now. Is there anything you need, Rayne?"

"Water?"

"Yeah, I'll make you a sandwich too okay?"

"Thank you, Astra. I love you." I whisper.

"Love you too Rayne."

Astra walks out of the hospital room and closes the door softly.

Caden shifts beside me and yawns. His large form rolls so all four of his legs are lifted straight into the air. He stares at his legs with amusement. He must be still feeling the effects of the medicine.

I giggle and Caden's head whips around to me. He stares at me with a faraway look in his big grey wolf eyes. His breathing picks up to an unnaturally fast pace. His tongue lolls out of the side of his mouth. His eyes widen a considerable amount before he sneezes.

Caden shifts mid-sneeze. He rolls onto his side and puts his arms around me gently. He is careful not to touch the many IVs poking out of my arms.

"Rayne... are you alright?" Caden asks. I shrug.

"Can you kiss me? I might feel better if you kiss me."