Chapter 36

Rayne

It had been two years since Sage and I came home. It took me many months to recover from giving birth. A little over a year and a half.

Everything I had to learn again, I learned with my mate and pups right by my side. I went through months and months of voice exercises and physical therapy for my legs. When I learned how to walk again, my pups were taking their first steps. It was a painful and long journey but I recovered fully. With no injuries that would last a lifetime, it was like nothing was wrong in the first place. Other than I wouldn't have my heat anymore because I was without a womb.

Caden had taken on his new duties as Alpha while I recovered. To this day it still shocked me that Sage gave up his position as Alpha. It had been something he was yearning for since he was a pup. The conversation we had as to why he was refusing to take his role as Alpha still replays in my head to this day.

"You never told me that you gave up your position as Alpha," I had said as Sage walked into the room. It had been three weeks since I had woken up from my coma/death and I had regained my ability to speak.

"I'm sorry. I was going to tell you sooner but I didn't want to overwhelm you. You've been through so much this past year. I didn't want to show up and dump the responsibilities of being Luna on you."

"I just don't understand how you could just give up your Alpha position. Sage, you have wanted to be Alpha your entire life. You trained and waited for this moment forever. You had so many plans for the future of our pack. Why would you want to throw it all away when you are so close to becoming Alpha?"

Sage's eyes welled up with unshed tears. He glanced over to the three sleeping pups curled up around each other.

"There is nothing more in this world that I want other than to be the Alpha of this pack. But I do not feel worthy enough of being Alpha. I couldn't even protect myself from danger. I do not deserve to be Alpha. What I need is to live as peaceful of a life as I can with my two mates. I feel too dirty and unfaithful. I cannot lead my pack well and be a good mate if I become Alpha."

"Sage! Do you hear yourself? If anyone deserves to be Alpha, it's you."

"Adrian and I decided that we will not have any more pups together. Just so we do not produce an Alpha pup. He is going to try for a pup with Fallon after Flynn turns four. We are going to have two pups and that is it. You have two Alpha pups who can share the title. Our pack will become stronger with you and Caden in charge instead of me. Please, Rayne. I cannot bear to give up my position but it needs to be done. Sacrifices need to be made for the greater good of our pack. Please..."

The look I had seen in Sage's eyes as tears poured down his reddened cheeks made my heart clench painfully. As much as I had wanted to say no, I couldn't. If Sage did not want to be Alpha I could not force him.

"If this is what you want Sage..."

"It is! I promise Rayne if it gets too much I will do whatever I can to help you. But I cannot be Alpha. There is no one else I would want to be Alpha and Luna other than my little brother and his capable mate. Thank you, Rayne," Sage smiled at me and kissed my forehead.

After that day, my parents began planning for Caden's Alpha training...

Now, as I lay in our bed while Caden rushes around the room to pack, I begin to regret agreeing to become Luna. Caden stops at the foot of the bed and sniffs the air, frowning as he makes his way over to me.