Chapter 25

Sage

Adrian and I lay on our bed trying to get some rest. Fallon had gone to the pack meeting being held at another small pack about a half an hour away from our pack. He took Flynn with him so that Adrian and I could try to get some sleep and alone time together before they returned.
The house was empty, save for a few elders who did not feel up to making the journey to the other pack. Everyone including the pups went because the meeting was for discussions on what to do with another small pack that was forming close to our two lands. No one was in danger so Dad allows everyone to come and enjoy a picnic and interact with other people from a different pack for once.

Adrian and I lay curled up in bed for the longest time. Unable to fall asleep because we missed our little pup too much. After a little while, I got up to use the bathroom.

As I was washing my hands I hear a loud crash in the bedroom and a yelp. I rush into the room, thinking that Adrian had hurt himself.

When I get into the bedroom I expected to see Adrian sprawled out on the floor from an accidental fall. What I did not expect to see was a man dressed from head to toe in all black clothing with no scent telling me who he is, laying on the floor with blood gushing from his chest, a knife sticking out from the wound. Adrian stood over the man's body breathing heavily as he looks up at me.

I watch as the man takes ragged breaths, The knife moving in small up and down motions with his rapid breathing. He takes one last deep breath before his head lolls to the side, his eyes open but empty. The man was dead.

"Adrian... what the..."

"The guy tried to fucking kidnap me! He barged in and told me to get up and go with him or he was going to kill you. I had to kill him or he was gonna fucking hurt us or kill us! I had no choice!"

"It's okay Adrian. It's okay. This is fine," I say, trying to stay calm. "There's only a dead body in my room! What the fuck, Adrian?! We could have interrogated him! Now we will never know the motive of his attack!"

"Well, then what was I supposed to do, Sage?! Let him take me away?"

"No. You could have immobilized him until I could get him into a cell."

"Sage, all I could think about was Flynn... I wasn't going to risk getting taken or killed because I didn't act in time to stop him." Tears well up in Adrian's eyes. "I couldn't risk not seeing my pup ever again. He is my whole world, Sage. I'm sorry that I killed him without thinking."

"Adrian," I pull Adrian close to me and kiss his forehead. I notice the blood staining his hands and left cheek and nose. "It's going to be okay. You'll see Flynn again. He'll be back soon enough with Fallon. In the meantime, we need to figure out what to do with the body, okay?"

Adrian sniffles, nodding while wiping his nose with the sleeve of his shirt.

"Not so fast," A voice says. We both turn to find another man dressed in black standing in the doorway. He too has no scent like the other man. "You are going to give me the boy, and I will be on my way. If you do not comply with my wishes I will not only kill you but your precious pup Flynn as well. And I'll make you watch. So what is it going to be?"

Adrian shrinks back into me, looking around for a weapon, eyes falling upon the knife lodged into the dead man's chest. The man catches his gaze and smirks.