Chapter 38

Church

We found Erin in a cabin with her mate Luis. She hadn't expected Rayne and his family to be standing outside the cabin when the warriors dragged her out. Her shocked expression when her eyes landed on them was priceless.

My heart clenched at the sight of Erin being cuffed by the warriors. Was this the same little girl who gifted me with a blue necklace when I was first introduced to them? The same little girl who loved to babysit my children? I couldn't believe that Erin would not only try to kill Rayne and Caden but their three pups as well.

Erin's eyes flit over to her older brother. Wade's hand tightens its grip on mine as Erin is forced to look at the three quivering pups in Rayne and Caden's arms. Tears stream down her cheeks as she looks at the pups.

"Why would you do this, Erin?" Wade asks. Eden and Zaryn stand by Rayne, taking on a protective stance beside him.

"I think I can answer that," A voice says from behind us. We turn to see an Elder walking towards the cabin. Luis is escorted out of the cabin and placed in front of the Elder alongside Erin.

"Erin is carrying the next Elder in her womb. We were first alerted when Elder Rei had fallen ill. She was planning to kill the next Alpha and Luna along with their heirs so it would cause panic within the pack. Giving her enough time to escape and give birth far away. She was trying to prevent having her pup taken away from her. But it would have never worked because we always know where our fellow Elders are."

"Erin?" Rosa, Erin's twin sister approaches and gasps as she sees the condition Erin is in. "What is happening?"

"Erin tried to kill Rayne and his mate and children," I whisper to her. Rosa covers her mouth with her hand.

"You were scared of being alone, Erin," The Elder says. "Wanting to kill innocents for your selfish gain. Now, not only will you have your child taken away from you, but you will also be placed in solitary confinement on a life sentence. Forever alone with no one else but yourself to keep you company."

Erin's mouth opens in a silent scream. Luis' eyes glaze over with tears and backs away from his mate.

"Erin," Luis says shakily. "Erin, you didn't have to kill people to get what you want! How would you feel if your pup was the target? I can't believe you, Erin!"

"Prepare her for a cesarian," The Elder says to one of the warriors. "She is close enough to labor that it will not hurt her and the pup. Once the pup has been safely delivered, another Elder will take the pup back to Fairsea where she will be raised. We will reschedule the coronation ceremony during the next full moon. You may stay here for the next month or you can go home. But there is no way we can perform the ceremony tonight. You should stay the night but you are free to do as you please after."

I watch as the warriors escort Erin away. She kicks and punches at the warriors as they carry her into a cabin, a pack doctor following them in. Luis' eyes water as he falls to his knees. Noah rushes over to comfort Luis, who had no idea what Erin was planning. Had no idea that his daughter was a future Elder.

Rosa places her hand on my shoulder and pulls me aside. She points to the necklace that Erin made for me when she was a pup.

"I want you to get rid of it," Rosa says.

"But I promised you and Erin that I would keep them on for as long as I lived. And I haven't taken them off since you gave them to me. And that was twenty years ago."

"Erin betrayed our pack. She does not deserve your forgiveness. Please, Church," Rosa pleads. "Please just take it off."

"Okay..." I allow my fingernail to form into a claw. I slice through the braided blue rope and it slips off my neck. The small bird on the necklace, which had lost it's glittering eye years ago, sprawled against the grass...

Later that night, Wade and I lay in our cabin with our three-year-old son Hazel tucked between us. Hazel was curled around Wade's arm as Wade held us close. Soft breathy snores escape from Hazel's parted lips as he sleeps.

Wade had been silent most of the night. Neither of us could sleep. His sister had tried to kill our nephew and his family. I knew Wade was thinking the same thing I was. Erin could have gone after us as well. She could have harmed our youngest pup.

After further investigation into the explosion, they found the bomb that was used. There was a flaw in the homemade bomb which had made it have a delayed explosion. The sound it had caused alerted Rayne and Caden just in time. They were able to save their pups before the bomb went off. If Erin hadn't made the small mistake while making the bomb, Rayne and his family would be dead right now. And we all would be mourning the loss of five innocent wolves.

Erin was going away for good. Attempting murder, especially towards an Alpha and their family, was a crime punishable by an immediate death or solitary confinement. At first glance, it may not seem like that harsh of a punishment. Getting three meals a day and a quiet environment. But for a werewolf, it was crucial to be in a pack. To be surrounded by people who you can interact with and rely on. Solitary confinement for a werewolf is worse than immediate death. They would be suffering for a long time before they succumbed to death.

There was nothing we could do. Erin brought this upon herself. It was still heartbreaking to see her go. If she hadn't decided to attempt to kill Rayne and Caden, she could still have a long and fulfilling life. She was only twenty-nine. A young wolf with much potential. She would still have her mate and could have had the chance to have many more pups. Now not only will she be without her newborn pup, but she will be alone.

After the pack doctor performed a cesarian on her, she was patched up and sent on a plane with one other Elder to the prison of Fairsea. Her pup, which Luis named Cathrine, was transferred to Fairsea with the rest of the Elders. Cathrine would be put through many years of training before she could become an official Elder. Luis had gotten to hold Cathrine and tell her how much he loved her before she was taken away. I felt terrible for Luis. He had lost his mate and pup in one night. I couldn't imagine the pain he and his wolf were going through.

"Wade," I say. He looks down at me with a sad, tired expression on his face. "I know that you're not alright, but if you need to talk at any time, just wake me up and I'll be there for you. Okay?"

Wade nods, kissing my cheek as he settles in closer to our son. "Have you told the girls yet?"

"No."

How was I supposed to tell Aroura and Athena what their Aunt had done? Erin was my daughters' favorite Aunt to spend time with. They adored her. They'll be devastated when the news reaches them. Both the girls were asleep in their cabin when it had all taken place. I was not looking forward to the morning when I had to tell them.

The whole pack did not know what Erin had done. They had only received a link that the coronation ceremony was rescheduled under the unfortunate circumstances of an Elder passing away.

All I can do for Erin was pray. Pray to the Moon Goddess that she took mercy on Erin's fragile soul. Because I knew deep down that Erin was not making it out of Fairsea Prison alive...