Chapter 35

Rayne

I smile weakly as Flynn crawls around my bed. He giggles, climbing up onto my chest and squealing. He pulls on the fluffy wolf ears atop my head.

I was slowly gaining back my strength in my arms and could make small whining noises, although I didn't dare talk in front of anybody. I think I would die of embarrassment. The doctors were certain that I would have more mobility in my arms and gain my voice back within a week.

Caden had stayed with me the entire time. From when I was staying in the emergency room, to when I was moved to a 'permanent' hospital room where I would continue to stay until I recover enough to not be monitored. He barely ever left the room, staying right by my side throughout the day. My pups were with me at all times as well. Curled up next to me as I recovered.

I felt terrible. My body was sore and numb at the same time. My feet pricked with pins and needles at all times of the day. The sharp sensation just under my skin never fully going away. The migraines were the worst. They came to me late at night when everyone else had gone to sleep. First, my vision would blur. Next came a small headache. Which turned into me writhing in pain from the crushing pressure in my head. My brain felt like it was exploding. Like I was being beaten repeatedly on the head with a metal baseball bat. There was nothing the doctors could do about it. All I could do is suffer through it and try to sleep and stay away from light.

Flynn squeals as I place my shaking hands on his body to still his movements. I pull him down so he lays on my chest. Fylnn coos and cuddles close to me. Caden, who sits on the bed beside me, reaches out and rubs Flynn's little back. His eyes droop, succumbing to sleep after staying up me and Caden for the whole day without taking a single nap.

Caden presses a kiss to my awaiting lips as he helps me lay back down in the bed. Flynn stirs, shifting before settling down again.

"Things are starting to get better," Caden says. "The pups are taking to Luna Eden's milk. Which is good because now they can get the proper nutrients they need after going on their little hunger strike. You are getting some movement back. All you need to do is get better. After you fully recover you can have your coronation ceremony."

Coronation ceremony? For what?

Caden sees the question in my eyes. He sighs, leaning his head back against the headboard.

"Sage didn't tell you. He is stepping down from his Alpha position. He said to me that it didn't make sense for him to be alpha when you were the one with two alpha pups. He wants to take the time to focus on Fallon, Adrian, and Flynn. Fallon wants to try for another pup but Adrian and Sage are adamant that they wait until after Flynn turns two. So while they are focused on strengthing their relationship, Sage decided that we should take his place. Alpha Zaryn agreed. Sage was supposed to tell you earlier."

My head reels with the information. Never once in my life did I think I would become a Luna. And I am sure that Caden never imagined himself becoming an Alpha. Being leaders of a pack was a hard task to take on. Especially that Caden was also the head warrior. Would he have to step down now that he is Alpha? As if reading my mind, Caden answers my unsaid question.

"I am still keeping my position of Head warrior. I would give it to Adrian, but he has plans of having a big family. Head tracker is a perfect position for him if he gets pregnant again. He wouldn't be able to fight for training purposes. So I will keep my position as Head Warrior in addition to being the Alpha of our pack. It is pretty ambitious to take on such a task but I think that I am capable of doing it."

I have no doubts that Caden will be able to accomplish taking on the role of Alpha alongside being Head Warrior. I was more worried about Sage. From the time we were pups, Sage had always talked about how much he was looking forward to becoming alpha. How he made plans for the pack to make them altogether stronger and well off. He couldn't wait to show our parents just how much of a positive change he could make in the pack. He was always so excited to meet his mate. He was so confident that his mate would be the perfect Luna. And I know that if Sage hadn't given up his position, Adrian would have been the perfect Luna for the pack.

Adrian was sweet and caring while at the same time being a strict and strong man. He was the wolf that every Luna should strive to be. Taking no nonsense from anyone, and speaking his mind. He made sure he was heard and that was amazing.

A knock at the door startles Flynn, his little body shooting up and staring at the door excitedly. Adrian walks into the room, beaming as his eyes land on his sleepy pup. Flynn yips, bouncing impatiently as Adrian makes his way over to my bedside.

"I'm here to retrieve my little munchkin," Adrian says, scooping Flynn up into his arms. Flynn squeals happily as Adrian blows raspberries onto his cheeks. Adrian laughs as Flynn kicks his legs and flails his arms in a fit of giggles. Adrian situates Flynn so he does not fall and bends down, pressing a kiss to my forehead.

"Get better soon, okay Rayne? You gotta go shopping with me again. We need a day for ourselves to hang out. Thank you for watching him while I trained. It was a big help since Sage and Fallon have been making more time for themselves lately. I think it's good that they are having alone time."

"Yes, I'm sure they are having fun with whatever they are doing," Caden says, taking our sleeping pups out of the cradle next to the bed and placing them next to me. We placed them in the rarely used cradle so Flynn didn't accidentally walk on them while he bounced and played on the bed.

"They are probably having sex," Adrian says casually. Caden makes a gagging sound, placing his hands over Kalen's ears to 'block out' Adrian's words from being heard.

"We did not need to know that. Especially Rayne. He does not need to hear about how his older brother is having sex."

"Whatever. One day you won't be such a prude, Caden. Well, imma go back to my room and catch up on my sleep. Goodnight." Adrian leaves the room, Flynn smiling and waving as the door closes.

"We should get ready for bed soon as well, sweetheart. I want you to get as much rest as you can. Let me get your pajamas. We will do your exercises and go to sleep."

Caden sets out pajamas for me and the pups, helping me change into them after we did my exercises which consisted of Caden stretching and bending my useless limbs in hopes of me gaining back movement sooner.

Caden slips into bed with me, our three pups in between us. My vision momentarily wavers and I sigh, mentally preparing myself for another long night of pain.