Backstory Bruises

Day 6, Week 1

$$$

Peter: *wakes up in middle of the night* Hey, Mantis. You awake? *turns and sees her*

*She's fast asleep*

Peter: *sighs and is about to go back to sleep but hears her mumbling* Mantis? *goes over to her bedside* Are you ok??

Mantis: *talking in her sleep* No. No. Stop it. Stop it. Stop.*tossing rapidly* No. NO! STOP IT! LEAVE THEM ALONE!!! *tears stream down her cheeks* NO!! LET ME GO!!! *pushes Peter away*

Peter: Whoa whoa WHOA! *shakes her awake*

Mantis: *wakes up and breathes heavily*

Peter: Don't worry. It's just a dream. Just a dream *pulls her into a soothing hug* It's ok. It's not real.

Mantis: *sobbing into his shoulder* No. It is not a dream *looks at him* It's a memory.

Peter: *grips her shoulders and looks deeply into her eyes* What happened??

Mantis: It was on my home planet. I was only in my larvae state when The Chitauri struck. The Empaths were a very peaceful race, but that often got us into trouble, and our security wasn't very strong *looks at him through teary eyes* so many of us died, the ground and the waters turned red with our blood. My family was killed in the slaughter *turns away from him* I watched them die through my eyes. We were very close to extinction when Ego, Quill's father, took me in. He raised me as his own, and shut me away from the other life forms. It was always me and him for as long as I could remember.

Peter: ... I'm so sorry, Mantis. I can't imagine what it must feel like, to lose all of your loved ones, your home, and to be taken away by some stranger who you don't know.

Mantis: That was all in the past, before I met Quill and the Guardians. I try to forget it, I really do. But it seems that nothing can help me escape from the pain and loss I felt that day ... And I don't want to face it all over again *starts sobbing again*

Peter: Shh, it's ok *hugging her* It's gonna be alright. I'll tell you what: how about I stay up with you until you fall asleep again.

Mantis: Ok *cheers up a little*

Peter: *smiles slightly as he climbs into bed with her and pulls the covers up*

Mantis: What are you doing?? *watching him move up beside her*

Peter: Keeping you company *wraps his arms around her* If the Bug Lady's gonna have to confront her worst fear once more, then I think her best friend's allowed to support her in it.

Mantis: Ok then ... *slightly aware of what's happening* Night, Peter.

Peter: Night, Mantis.

$$$

*Mantis wakes up and sees Peter sleeping beside her with his head turned to the other side, shirtless*

Mantis: *gets out of bed and pulls up a chair to sit in, and realises she's wearing his shirt*

Peter: *stirs slightly but doesn't wake up*

Mantis: * stares at his muscles while wondering what they are. She touches his cheek and manages to detect a woman's presence in his conscience*

*Peter wakes up and sees that Mantis isn't in bed*

Peter: *turns to the other side and sees Mantis sitting a few feet away staring at him* WHOA! *quickly sits upright*

Mantis: Good morning, Peter!

Peter: Uh, how long have you been sitting there??

Mantis: An hour *lying*

Peter: And ... What were you doing in that time??

Mantis: Just watching you sleep *still lying*

Peter: Ok, that's not creepy *gets out of bed and puts on another shirt* So what do you want to do today??

Mantis: *doesn't reply, still thinking about the woman in his emotions*

Peter: What's wrong?

Mantis: Nothing, why??

Peter: You just seem ... quieter than usual.

Mantis: I'm fine, Peter. But what are we waiting for? C'mon, let's go try out more things! *pulls Peter to his feet*

Peter: Whoa! Slow down, Bugsy! Manhattan isn't going anywhere, you know.

Mantis: I know, but I want to try out everything as soon as possible!

Peter: Alright, take it easy, Mantis. Next stop: McDonalds!

$$$