The Monster

Day 6, Week 2

$$$

*Peter and Mantis are back at his flat*

Mantis: *sitting on his bed thinking about what happened at the Amusement Park and Liz's presence in Peter's mind*

Peter: *comes into the room* I brought ice cream *sits down beside her*

Mantis: *smiles weakly at him* Thank you *sadly digs into the ice cream*

Peter: Listen, Mantis *turns her face to his* Don't think about what that a-hole said to you earlier, ok? None of it was true. He was just trying to get into your head.

Mantis: I know that. But did you see the way he looked at me? Before I pacified him, I could also sense something else: Fear. He was just afraid of me.

Peter: But that doesn't mean he can go on saying sh*t to you like that!

Mantis: But it wasn't just him. Liz also thought I was a monster. In fact, everyone did. I could see it in their eyes. Maybe they're right. Maybe they're smart to fear me.

Peter: Who cares what they think?! You're not what they say about you. Believe me, I know. When you comforted that little girl when no one else did; when you showed Empathy to that Registration Lady two nights ago.

Mantis: But how did you know about that?!

Peter: You'd be surprised at how good my hearing is. Anyways, the point is, You're not a monster, Mantis. Nobody else might know that, but I do.

Mantis: How?? You have seen the strange things I do, what I can do.

Peter: The world is full of strange stuff! Trust me. I've recently met a Wizard, resurrected from death and fought off against Purple Barney, and that all happened a month ago! How does the comments of a few people change the way I feel about you??

Mantis: Wait, what?? *perks up at the last sentence*

Peter: *realising what he just said* Uhh, I mean--hypothetically speaking, what I feel about our friendship. That's all *trying to talk his way out of the situation*

Mantis: Right, of course ... *becomes quiet and sad*

Peter: Are you ok?

Mantis: Huh? Oh yes, I'm alright. Thank you for helping me feel better of myself.

Peter: No problem. Could you help me finish the ice cream? It's kind of already melted *holds up ice cream bowl*

Mantis: Sure! At least then you can take me to the Hop-Spittle if I get another brain-freeze.

Peter: It's actually pronounced "hospital"--

Mantis: *no longer listening and is eating instead*

Peter: Ok then ... *starts eating ice cream with her*

$$$