Goodbye Lullaby

Day 2, Week 3

$$$

*They are both in a jail cell*

Peter: There has to be a way outta here! *frantically searching for an escape*

Mantis: *calmly wiping dust off of Peter's hoodie* I actually don't mind staying here. This place reminds me of home.

Peter: Well, jail is the total opposite of a nice, cozy house!!

General: *bangs impatiently on cell door* You have a visitor *lets them out of the cell and uncuffs them*

Tony Stark: Kid!

Peter: Mr. Stark?!

Mantis: Tony!

Policeman: You have five minutes *leaves room of cells*

Tony Stark: What the hell are you doing here?! I came ASAP when I saw your face on every TV screen in America!

Peter: I know, Mr. Stark! I'm sorry—

Tony Stark: "Sorry" doesn't change the fact that you started a wildlife rampage in under 24 hours! Not to mention that you broke a 250 million cinema screen that doesn't belong to you, spreading along with it a city fire! Do you know how many people got hurt from those 2 incidents??

Peter: *looks on in shame*

Mantis: *watches guiltily*

Tony Stark: Kid, even I know you wouldn't go gallivanting around the city wrecking havoc, causing chaos with a girl that you hardly know.

Peter: I-I can explain—

Mantis: *blurts out* Tony do not listen to him! It was my fault!! I started the fire and let out the animals in the first place—

Peter: I'm to blame! She's just trying to defend me—

Mantis: HE LIES!!! *points accusingly at Peter*

Tony Stark: *pinches the bridge of his nose* Ok look, I don't care who's the more responsible one! The point is, you're both guilty of 2 freak accidents! The court's still deciding what to about it. I paid for your bail money but you're still going for a trial in 3 days. Do you understand me??

Peter/Mantis: *both nod nervously*

Tony Stark: *muttering* Teenagers these days. Can't even have decent fun without inviting trouble.

General: *comes back into the room* It's time *escorts them out of the building*

Tony Stark: *calls personal chauffeur over to pick them up* I already called your Aunt, Kid. So she knows you're with me.

*They all step into the sports car and drive back to Peter's flat, silent all the way*

$$$

Tony Stark: Be careful next time, Kid.

*The sports car pulls away into the night*

Mantis: Peter, I am so sorry for pulling you into my problems. If you don't want to do this anymore, I understand *really sincere*

Peter: What, no! You're not dragging me in. I chose to do this with you.

Mantis: But I am a burden you have to carry constantly, Peter. Every single day that I am here.

Peter: Then let me carry it.

Mantis: But I don't want you to. Not anymore. It was a mistake to come with me, Peter.

Peter: Well it's my mistake that I have to live with, Mantis. Not yours.

Mantis: But it is my fault for breaking the screen. It was my fault the animals are out of their cages, and it was my fault you got in trouble, Peter.

Peter: You couldn't have known not to do those things. I mean, it was only your first 2 weeks here, Mantis. You still have a lot to learn.

Mantis: But I do not learn from my mistakes. My curiosity always gets the best of me. I don't want you to clean up after me all the time.

Peter: Is this about Mr. Stark?? Because I don't care what he thinks about you.

Mantis: It's not just Tony, Peter. Everyone thinks you are making a mistake, and I think they are right. I'm sorry *gives him back the hoodie and hat and kisses him on the cheek* Goodbye, Peter *walks away*

Peter: *stares at her disappearing figure before running after her* Bugsy, c'mon. We can work this out.

Mantis: *looks at him sadly* You know we can't Peter *keeps on walking*

Peter: *walks with her* Well, at least do you know where you're going??

Mantis: *stops walking* No ... But Quill and the Guardians are gonna take me back soon *turns on her tracking device*

Peter: Do you honestly care what people think of you??

Mantis: No, but you have every reason to. You are the adopted son of Tony Stark. Everybody has high expectations of you.

Peter: I'm not really the adopted son of Mr. Stark. I'm more of his ... Uhh, ward, I guess.

Mantis: The point is, nobody will want to see you walking around with an alien as a best friend.

*Quill's spaceship lands beside them*

Quill: *opens spaceship entrance* You coming, Mantis?

Mantis: I have to leave now *drops a small brooch into Peter's hand*

Peter: *stares at the brooch in wonder* Wait! *tries to run in after her*

*Spaceship doors close and the pod takes off*

Peter: MANTIS, WAIT!!!! *leaps onto the spaceship and holds on*

Quill: *asks Mantis* How did it go??

Mantis: It was ok *climbs into her seat and straps herself in*

Quill: Whaaaat?? That's it?! Just "ok?" Where's the juice, Mantis?? Gimme the juice!

Rocket: You know, I'm pretty sure she's drained dry of any juice after that sense of spirit, Quill.

Quill: What are you talking about?!

Drax: It's true, Quill. That attitude has that draining effect on people.

Quill: Is it true, Groot? Do I have a draining effect on people??

Groot: ... I am Groot.

Quill: What?! You seriously agree with those two a-holes??

Rocket: What can I say, Quill? You always did, ever since we met you.

Quill: I did not!

*Quill and Rocket continue bickering*

Mantis: *quietly sobbing to herself and looks out the porthole to see Earth, but sees Peter floating around in space instead* ROCKET! TURN AROUND!!! Peter's outside!

Quill: I'M PETER, Mantis! Don't you remember what we talked about last time?!

Mantis: NO!!! MY PETER, QUILL! HURRY, HE IS RUNNING OUT OF AIR!!!

Rocket: Alright hold tight, everyone! *turns spaceship sharply around*

Peter: *before blacking out he sees a blurred-out figure coming towards him*

$$$