Chapter 3

(Courtney's POV)

My room door opens and Shane appears. She sits on the edge of the bed and looks at me. She plays with her hands. She's nervous. 

"What is it, Shane?" I ask her as I sit up. 

"You're angry with me and I don't blame you. I'm sorry, Court," she apologized. 

I am partially angry with her but I don't know what she's babbling about.

"I'm lost," I blurt out.

"I know you are angry," she continues like I didn't say anything. "I came with my brother and Gwen only to ask you a movie to watch. I should've invited you." She says as she moves next to me and rests her head on my shoulder. 

"It's fine, Shane. It happened yesterday," I tell her. 

"But you weren't answering any of my calls," She says skeptically. She raises her head and looks at me.

"I was busy," I lie. I'm a terrible liar.

"Oh, yeah?" She looks at me with the eyes that my mom gives me when I've done something wrong. 

"It's fine, Shane," I repeat. "I am serious. I'm over it."

"But your not over him? Are you?" Her question catches me off guard. 

I look at every corner in my room, but I can't bring myself to look at her. I know she knows my answer, but she just wants to hear me say it. 

"I thought as much. Courtney, why can't you just let go? It's been months. He doesn't care about you, he dumped you. He cheated on you with Goth Girl. He gave up on you. Why? Why do you love him so much? He-" 

"Enough, Shane!" I snap, sick of hearing the truth. I stand up. "Don't you think that I am hurt enough? That I've tried to forget him? Don't you think I regret getting back together with him? I changed everything for him. My clothes, my hair, my character. And all for what? For a guy who doesn't even care if I exist or not. For a guy who decided to betray me for my best friend. All I want is to forget him."

"You could," Shane says softly. 

I look at her. "Do you think this is funny?" 

"I'm serious, Court. You can start changing back the things that you changed for him. Starting with your hair and clothes. You can be the bad ass C.I.T again instead of this broken softie," she says as she grabs her bag. 

She's right. I do need to change. 

"So what color do you want your hair dyed?" she asks. 

"Brown," I reply. 

"Now we're off to a good start." She smiles and sits me down in front of my mirror. She pulls the dye out of her bag. 

"You came prepared," I say, smiling. 

"Well, duh. I knew I could convince you with my sweet convincing skills," she says and smirks. I roll my eyes and do as I'm told. 

One thought pops into my mind. Why did Gwen become my best friend and not Shane?

↠↞

I look at myself in the mirror and immediately fall in love with her. She looked different but she looked like me at the same time. I hardly recognized her anymore, but it makes me feel like my old self again. 

"Thanks, Shane," I say to the juvenile behind me. 

"Don't thank me just yet," she says. I turn around and give her a questionable look. 

"Why?" I ask frowning. 

"You'll see." She drags me out of the house and to the car. 

She pulls the car up to a clothing boutique. I look at her expecting an explanation. 

"We're going shopping and when we get back to your house, we are burning those things that you call dresses," she tells me. 

We go into the store and Shane lets me pick the clothes that I want. I am seriously grateful for having her in my life. 

We buy the clothes then leave the store. "So is there anyone new in your life?" I ask as she drives. I should have asked a long time ago. I was too caught up in my own crap.

"Nope, not a soul, but I'll let you know when there is," she replies, smiling. 

"Can't wait," I say, nudging her shoulder. "I could always help you with that." 

"Yeah, no thanks. I'm not looking for anyone right now." She makes a disgusted face. I laugh.

The drive to my house is all laughter and gist. I miss chatting with a friend without thinking of him.  

Today was fun and it was all because of Shane. 

At my house, Shane parks in the garage and helps me carry the clothes to my room. I try them on and they all fit perfectly. They fit better than what I wore when I dated Duncan. 

She gets the clothes out of my closet and stacks them up in my backyard. She pours Kerosene on the clothes then lights matches and throws them on top. All of the skimpy things that I called clothes began burning. 

Watching the clothes burn to ashes, I smile. 

All the memories of him begin to depreciate. What I felt for him begins to fade and I feel better about myself. I feel like my usual self again. 

I feel like Courtney Barlow, not the Duncan's ex-girlfriend Courtney Barlow either. I felt like the Courtney Barlow I would have been if I hadn't let him come back into my life. 

I am done sulking over you, Duncan Nelson. 

And all it took was a day to bring me back to my senses. It took a best friend, dyed hair, a new wardrobe, and a pile of ashes. 

-------------------------------

Edits done by geneyjohn

So what did you guys think?

*edited