Chapter 8

(Duncan's POV)

I don't regret dating Courtney. It was actually... interesting. A bad-boy dating a princess. Who would've thought. And now I'm right back to where I started. Crushing on her like a kid in elementary school.

I have never heard Courtney talk so much in fifteen minutes. Other than when she tried to get me to follow her stupid rules. She practically tells me her whole life story as I drive to Dunkin' Donuts. She tells me about the whole thing that went on with Shane and Scott just to get me to realize that I still wanted Courtney.

"I mean that's so stupid. My best friend thinks that she can go and mess with my love life. I mean it's not like me and you are going to get back together," she says.

I nod. We don't say anything after, though. Awkward silence fills the car.

I park, and we both get out. With Courtney walking beside me, I suddenly want to put my arm around her. I go against it. I'm not trying to get back with her.

We're just friends now. I don't feel anything else for her, I think to myself.

We walk into the donut shop and with no surprise, Courtney orders a vanilla filled donut and a coffee. When she gets it, we go and sit at one of the tables.

I watch her take a sip of her coffee. "So how did Gwen dump you?" she asks.

"Who said she dumped me?"

She rolled her eyes. "I'm not stupid. You don't just dump a girl unless there is another girl involved."

I sigh. "I'm pretty sure Gwen was still dating Trent from a distance. I don't think he knows about what happened between me and Gwen," is all I say though I didn't really answer her question.

I know exactly how Courtney felt when I dumped her, now. I just don't feel miserable or depressed. I feel relieved. I can do whatever I want without having to worry about someone else.

Courtney studies me. She takes a deep breath. "Why did you leave me?" she asks calmly. 

I don't know how to answer that question, but I try anyway. "Because I... Gwen needed me."

She snorts. "Needed? I don't think so. Did you just want to hurt me?" A pause. "Again?"

"I didn't mean to hurt you." I dumped her because I thought Gwen did need me, and Courtney was becoming something she wasn't. 

"Well, I know you're going to do it again at some point. I know you, Duncan. To protect your rep, you'd throw anyone away. You just use people like Gwen used you."

Ouch. 

"Ok, Miss C.I.T, why are you here with me then?" I ask. 

She leans her head against her hand as she looks at me. The corner of her mouth twitches. "That is a really good question." She picks off a piece of her donut and flicks it at me. "I'm just making sure you're following the rules."

I chuckle. "Sometimes I don't understand you, princess."

"That's a good thing," she says, a grin taking over he features. 

I take her coffee and drink from it enjoying the warm bitter taste down my throat. "And why's that?" I ask. 

She glares at me as I take another sip of her coffee. "Because then you won't expect that I'm about to do this," she says. She leans over the table and hits the bottom of the cup spilling the coffee all over me.

"Ah, Court," I complain. Luckily, we had been sitting here long enough for the coffee to have cooled down enough not to burn me.

"You sound like an eight year old," Courtney snickers. 

I smirk and get up from my seat. I grab her and throw her over my shoulder which gains weird looks in our direction. I don't care. She deserves this.

"Duncan!" she exclaims. I just laugh as I walk towards the door. "Put me down." I can tell that she's trying not to laugh. 

"And why would I do that?" I ask. She hits me in the back of the head. 

"I can beat you up again like I did on Live TV," she says.

I roll my eyes. "You're not gonna let that go, are you?" 

"Nope."

"Then it's all the reason more that I keep you up on my shoulder." She groans and begins hitting me in the back. "That's not helping your case, princess." 

"Oh, shut up!" 

I keep her on my shoulder as I walk out. It's pouring rain. 

Courtney groans again. "Move into cover," she demands. 

I chuckle. "Sheesh, bossy. I think right here is perfectly fine," I tell her snickering. I'm standing right in the middle of the parking lot, now. 

"At least put me down. Please?" she says after hitting me in the head once more. "I'm getting soaked."

"That's no big deal." I'm getting soaked too. And it feels uncomfortable when wearing jeans, but it's fun making Courtney mad. She's cute when she's mad. 

Shit.

Why am I thinking these things?

"And you tell me I'm stubborn," she says. I laugh and put her down. She hits me in the chest. "Asshole," she calls me for the second time today. Then she runs under cover. 

I follow her and we stand under a ledge in front of one of the stores. I lean against the store while Courtney rings out her hair and complains. 

"I can't believe you did that," she says. "Do you know how long it took to do my makeup this morning?" Makeup? Well that's new.

"You're such a girl," I say rolling my eyes. She doesn't respond. She uses the hem of her shirt to wipe off her face then looks at me. She's prettier without her makeup. 

Why do I do this to myself?

Courtney pokes me in the chest distracting me from my thoughts. "I will get payback for what you did," she tells me. 

"You spilled coffee on me. I think what I did to you was deserved, princess."

She glares at me. "Well at least it made you smell... pleasant. Me, getting soaked, did nothing for me."

I smirk, ignoring the rest of her comment. "You think I smell good?" I ask. 

"Not the point," she says in her pissy tone. She folds her arms and shivers. "Now, I'm cold because of you."

I pull her against my chest. "That better?"

She sighs and rests her forehead against my chest. "You're warmer than I am," she mutters. Then Courtney looks up. "Don't get any ideas." She wraps her arms around me. 

My heart is beating like crazy. What the hell am I doing? I shouldn't be doing this, but it feels so... right. 

We cling to each other. Not in a romantic way but until Courtney stops shivering. And that isn't very long.

She takes half a step back, but we're still closer than what 'just friends' should be. I can see her cheeks are a light pink color. She's blushing. 

I stare into her onyx eyes as they stare back at me. She reaches to touch my bottom lip. How could I possibly hold back now? 

I envelope her again, and tilt her head to meet her eyes. I lean in, and I kiss her. 

-----------------------------

Edits done by geneyjohn 

hehe, they kissed

*edited