Chapter 4

(Duncan's POV)

I wake up to the sound of my alarm clock and the fact that I almost fall out of my bed. I manage to catch myself before falling completely and turn off the alarm. I get out of bed and get dressed before I go upstairs. 

In the kitchen, I get a bowl of cereal. In the process, Shane walks through the front door without even a glance at me.

"Good morning to you too, sis," I mutter.

She guzzles down a cup of water then leaves the kitchen. She's obviously giving me the silent treatment. 

Our little fight over Courtney was two days ago. I would have talked to Shane yesterday, but she had left with a bag of supplies at like ten in the morning. I look at my cereal no longer feeling very hungry. I dump it in the trash and walk down into the basement to find my phone.

When I do, there are multiple cracks on the screen but it still works. I decide that today is going to be the day that I talk to Courtney. I text Scott back. 

Me
Working on it.

I pocket my phone and put on my red converse. I look over at the time, realizing that I still have  half an hour left before school starts. I get out to get into my car anyway but realize that its gone. 

Shane.

I know that she is mad at me, but taking my car is no excuse. I groan and start walking. 

Courtney had to be the one to mess up everything between me and Shane. We were perfectly fine until the movie asking thing. Now, Courtney has made it all complicated.

I get to the school about ten minutes before it's supposed to start. I walk the halls not bothering to stop at my locker to get my stuff for class. I look around for Courtney.  

I feel an arm link through mine and I immediately know who it is. I look at her and give my best fake smile. I didn't really want to deal with her right now. I look over people's heads, but I can't find Courtney. 

After looking for a little bit, I realize that Gwen is talking to me. I don't know what she was talking about, but I nod like I understood. She stops me.

"Are you even listening to me?" She asks quietly. 

"Sorry, babe. I've been a little distracted," I tell her.

She doesn't seem to believe me but she goes along with it anyway. "Okay. Well I've got to get to class. You still driving me home?" she asks. I nod and she kisses me, leaving me alone. 

I continue to look even after the bell, but I don't find her. I don't know her as well as I used to, so I don't know where she should be. After a while, I finally go to class. 

The day goes by slowly and by lunch, I give up on looking. There are so many kids in the class that I don't even want to try and spot a brunette with green hair. I go through my classes like I usually do, not paying attention whatsoever.

The bell rings for school to get out and that's when I see her walking out of the computer lab. She's laughing along with my sister. 

The one thing I notice, is her hair. It's not green anymore. It's back to its original color. 

Shane looks up and sees me standing there. Courtney looks behind her, probably trying to avoid looking at me. Shane looks back at her, says something, then they both walk away. I want to say something to them, but I don't. I turn in the opposite direction. I'm not going to bother her. 

I get to the doors, but am stopped by Scott. "Thanks for talking to her. She seems a lot better," he says. 

I don't respond. I want to tell him that I didn't talk to her, but I just nod and walk away. 

The pieces all begin to fit together. Shane was mad and probably sick of how Courtney was acting, so yesterday she took my car and helped Courtney get her life together. The worst part of all of this is:

I'm the one who caused it. 

I walk to my car. Gwen is already waiting by it. I wasn't in the mood to sit in a car with her for ten minutes hearing her gossip. I was irritated and something was getting to me, but I can't understand what it was. 

The drive to her house was all silence. She knew something was up but she wouldn't say. When I pull up into her driveway, she looks at me but avoids my eyes. "Trent is coming back tomorrow," she says. That must be what she was telling me in the hall earlier. 

I look forward, avoiding her gaze. I know what this means. "So what? Am I just your toy that you used when your real boy toy was on tour?" I ask, starting to get angry. 

I suck in a breath. I shouldn't be mad. When I dumped Courtney, it was because of Gwen, and Gwen was my toy when I couldn't have Courtney. 

"Duncan," she pleads. "It isn't like that." We sit there in the quiet, awkward silence. "I'm sorry," she mumbles then she gets out of the car without waiting for a reply. 

I sigh and start the car. I realize that I took the car from Shane. She could probably hitch a ride with Courtney, my ex-girlfriend. 

The one person who is confusing me and messing things up for me. 

I don't go straight home. I drive around the neighborhood. I drive past Courtney's house multiple times. I contemplate on stopping there but go against it. 

I know what's bugging, me and it's the fact that Courtney's getting over me. 

Parking the car in my driveway, I jog into the house and go into my room. I pull out my phone and go to the bottom of my contacts. I text the one number I haven't texted in two months. 

Me
We need to talk

-------------------------------

Edits done by geneyjohn 

*edited