Chapter 11

(Courtney's POV)

I thought that I would be able to put all of my regrets in the back of my mind. That I could just forget them. But here I am, sitting on my bed crying with a carved skull in my hands, regretting everything all over again. 

I shouldn't have let Duncan come back, but I did and now he's hurting me all over again. 

"That's bullshit," he said. "You don't just go and kiss another girl's boyfriend. That's a slut move."

He hurried out the door away from me. I didn't understand what was wrong with him. Why couldn't he just be mine already? But I guess life has a way of just not working out. 

"But Duncan. I love you, not Trent," I yelled then mumbled,"I want you, not him."

He didn't look back, but instead drove farther away from me. 

Why can't I just learn my lesson already?

I turn the skull over in my hands. I trace my thumb over the carved letters put there:

D+C=4ever.

Too bad it isn't true. 

Once the skull is back under my pillow, I get off my bed and stretch. I put on a pair of sandals and grab my backpack off the floor.

I try to clear my head as I drive to the school. Luckily, the principal trusts me enough, again, to give me the keys to the school, so I can study. I hope studying will distract me. 

Walking into the classroom, where my favorite class, debate, takes place, I sit at my desk in the back. I pull out my textbooks piling them onto the desk. I open my math textbook and struggle with ignoring all the writing that Duncan had put there. 

I never read this book during those two months. I've only just started reading it again as I slowly went back to Courtney, the C.I.T.

I only get to page fifteen before it becomes impossible to read with all the 'Duncney was here' on the pages. So instead, I try to study in my Government book. 

As soon as I'm about to start chapter three, somebody else walks into the room. I inwardly groan when I see who it is but at the same time, I feel relieved. 

He casually leans against the teacher's desk and watches me. 

I continue to try and read but by the time I get to chapter four, I have no idea what happened in the chapter I just read. 

Eventually, after a very awkward staring contest, I sigh. "What is it, ogre?" I ask to break the tension. "Do I have mud on my cheek again?"

He cracks a small smile. "No, but you do have makeup on your face."

"I wonder why," I say sarcastically. 

He chuckles, but then it gets quiet again. He breaks the silence this time. 

"Look, Court, this seems to be the main thing I say lately, but I'm sorry. I should have believed you," he says apologetically. 

He didn't call me princess. He called me by my name. 

"What happened to princess?" I ask. 

He rubs the back of his head. "I guess you don't have to forgive me..."

"Duncan there's nothing to forgive." I get up and walk to the front of the class room to stand near him. He raises an eyebrow. Why am I so easy?

"I would've done the same thing," I say. And I would have. I want him and it slowly killed me when he was with Gwen. 

"You would have even called me a slut?" he asks. 

I giggle. "Especially that."

He grabs my hand and brings me out of the classroom. The action takes me off guard, but I just go with the flow. By the time we stop, we're outside. 

"Uh, Duncan?" I ask just a little worried. Knowing him, we could be out here to do anything. 

Duncan grabs my arm and pulls me towards a large oak tree closer to the school. A gasp escapes my lips when I see what's on it. 

A carving of me as a princess with the tiara and everything is there along with Duncan as a prince. And in it, we're holding hands. Underneath, it says:

Duncney 4 life. Then:

I'm sorry.

I feel a tear run down my cheek as I turn around to face Duncan again. 

"Courtney Barlow," he says softly. "I love you and I know that I've been a dick, but I promise won't hurt you again. I sweat my life on it. I know I'm not everything you want, but I-"

"I love you too, Duncan Nelson," I interrupt. "Even if you are a douche sometimes, I still love you. I've always loved you." I feel my tears trail down my face before I begin quietly sobbing. 

We have never said 'I love you' before, but I think that's a promise we're both willing to keep now. 

Maybe loving him will hurt me again, but I'm willing to take my chances. 

I take a step towards him and wrap my arms around his neck. 

I kiss him. "I love you, ogre," I mutter as I rest my forehead against his. 

"I love you, princess," he replies. Then we're kissing again and I don't push away. 

When we split to catch our breath, I put my head in the crook of his neck. "Duncan?" I ask. 

"Hmmm?" He asks as he plays with my bangs and looks at me. I stare into his teal colored eyes.

"How does this princess's story end?" I ask. 

He moves his face so we're inches apart. "I don't know. It's just the princess and the bad boy," he says before his lips are on mine once more. 

I know in this moment that it is possible to forget your regrets. 

That they can be stashed away where no one will ever see them again. 

They can be called forgotten regrets. 

I melt into the kiss and soon enough, everything is perfect again.

---------------------------

Edits done by geneyjohn 

*edited