°˖✧ Prologue ✧˖°

It was weird, seeing her wield magic.

It was weird to see his mother change appearances, her skin growing old and baggy, her hair lightening to the color of silver, and her cute button nose elongating into the shape of a carrot.

It was weirder to witness her scurry through the house searching for her makeshift bag made of an old potato sack while preparing herself to enter the world of humans. 

He hated it, but he never uttered a word.

Her metamorphosis brought them money and food, so he couldn't complain, and wouldn't, in fear that his own mother could turn on him. 

He had always been a quiet child, one who made no sound, not even a squeak. Was that to his advantage? He would never truly know, but he knew for a fact his silence kept him alive.

"Yes, he is an odd child. But at least he doesn't show signs of...you know," his older brother mumbled.

His mother nodded in agreement, her face full of concern and nostalgia for the growing boy who sat across the room, his legs crossed as he played with the small toy plane his brother had carved out of wood for him.

Although young, Yoongi wasn't naive. He knew exactly what they feared, and why he should fear it too.

But he knew better than to speak to his sparrow in public, the sparrow who often told him of the secrets lying beyond the muddy walls of his home.

He'd reserve that power to only speak to the sparrow when no one was there and when he didn't sense a single ounce of magic.

If he were to be found out, he knew he'd be decapitated on the spot. He and his brother whom he loved dearly.

Being 3 and knowing all this became a burden, a burden he was willing to carry well into his adulthood.

He didn't know what the word decapitation meant, but he knew what it implied. Death.

Death to him and his brother.

It was bad enough that his mother had borne two sons, but if even one of them showed signs of having the ability to wield magic, they'd be killed, they'd be destroyed, and would never see their beloved mother again.

"I told you she was on to you, didn't I Min Yoongi?"

"Will you shut it Lucious? I don't need to hear any complaints from a bird brain," Yoongi muttered angrily, waddling towards a chair and pushing it towards the window in which Lucious, his pet sparrow, was standing.

They both had waited for his mother to leave the small hut before even speaking to each other.

"I am a literal bird, you can't really offend me with that now, can you?" He groaned.

Yoongi rolled his eyes, cracking the small window to hand the bird some stale bread, his small hands barely making it through the opening.

"When will you begin to speak to them Yoongi?"

"The day you decide to stay in your real bird form for more than ten seconds Lucious," he answered.

The bird began to sing, its wings becoming larger and its tail longer.

It had changed into a crow, a jet-black crow with eyes so malignant it gave Yoongi shivers down his three-year-old spine.

"There? Are you happy? Do you know how obvious it is for a crow to speak to a young boy?"

Yoongi rolled his eyes, closing the window slowly before turning around.

"Well, until you can show me your human form, that's the least I can ask for, no?" he mocked.

The bird looked annoyed, moving its beak away from the window and beginning to pick at the stale bread it had been offered.

"Once you get older. For now, we must keep our secrets. I know you hate it but someday you'll understand," the bird assured him, finishing the last crumbs before turning around.

"Now, I must go, your mother is nearby-"

"I know. Goodbye, Lucious."

"Goodbye Yoongi," the bird chirped, flying away towards a nearby tree.

Yoongi watched, his mother entering the small hut with his brother walking close behind him.

"Jungi, bring Yoongi over here so we can eat," his mother said, looking at the young boy looking out of the window.

Looking through it, her hands nearly let go of the small pot she was holding when she saw the black crow hanging from the tree.

Closing the curtain of the window, Yoongi's mother simply gave a large sigh, before turning back around to continue making supper, ignoring what she had seen.

She knew.

She knew what her son was, but she couldn't say a thing.

From the day he had been born, she had known, but if she had said something, both her children would have been killed.

She knew it was a curse, a curse she had placed on herself the day she decided to bear children with that man...

The man she should have never loved.

The same man who was now dead and buried, killed by the same people who would kill her son if she spoke about his powers.

She'd keep them hidden, for as long as she had to, all for the sake of keeping them alive.

However, Yoongi had other plans.

Plans that would soon bring the destruction of the only life he knew.

The life of a witch.

°

°.◆.°

🐨Hope you enjoy the prologue to this book.

Remember, like the rest of my books, I update via supply and demand.

If I get enough people to ask for updates, I'll prioritize a book because Ik it's being read, so remember to vote and comment if you liked it and to keep an eye out for updates.

Till the first chapter,

May all the spells you cast keep you happy...

Mama KoalaBeaw
~♔~