°˖✧3✧˖°

Ina ran hurriedly through the woods, escaping the shadow that pursued her, her arms getting colder every second it got closer.

"Come back here!" It yelled furiously, the shadow moving from branch to branch, the bird moving with it.

"STAY AWAY!!!" She yelled.

He'd become a blur of a person, Ina's involuntary tears and own footsteps betraying her.

Falling forward, Ina tumbled down a small hill, her arms going up to cover her head in hopes of avoiding rocks.

As she made it to the bottom, Ina used her legs to slow herself down before jumping upright onto her feet, her hand grabbing the hat that had nearly fallen off on her way down. It had been a hat given to her by her grandmother, one she cherished with all her heart and which had always brought luck to her.

Up until now.

She was afraid, but she didn't exactly know why. Why was she afraid?

As she continued to run she felt her legs get lighter and lighter. It was as if running was getting easier. She did not dare look back, continuing to move forward through the brush. The shouts of the man and the sound of branches breaking were enough to tell her he was still close behind her.

"MAMA I DON'T WANT TO DIE TODAY!!"

Finally hitting the edge of the forest, Ina moved across the side of the road that led to the edge of town, the edge that led home. She could feel the grass turning into concrete, her legs hitting the ground as they had never done before.

Ina hated running but she was grateful that at the very least she was able to do so in that instance. She felt the burning of her muscles, her adrenaline helping her ignore most of it. She could feel her heartbeat in her ears, her hand grabbing the edge of her hat, tighter.

"Come here!" she could still hear, her breath staggering as she crossed the middle school track field, the same middle school she had gone to as a kid.

Making her way past the alleys that connected some of the neighboring apartments, her legs stopped moving suddenly as she arrived home, the feeling of someone breathing down her neck making her flinch.

Struggling, she unlocked the door of her home, her first instinct being to call for her parents, but no response was given. As she turned, her eyes widened when they came in contact with his.

Ina's hat flew off in the non-existent breeze to the floor, his eyes looking deeply into hers as his hair changed colors rapidly, finally landing on black.

His eyes.

There was something about his eyes that Ina didn't like. They stared directly into her soul, dark and mischievous, almost like the eyes of a cat.

"W-what are you?" Ina asked, her quivering voice giving away her mental state far easier than trying to say her name backward.

"If you're asking because you saw your hat move, I'll have you know that wasn't my doing but your own. However, if you're asking because of what you saw earlier...then all I can respond is...not human."

Ina could feel his breath against her face, his body locking her against the wall of her living room. Casper, who had been sitting on the living room sofa, began to bark at him until the man's eyes darted at him, the large dog going quiet before approaching him and snuggling his leg.

"Aren't you supposed to protect me?" Ina thought to herself.

"INA!! I brought some tacos!!" an all too familiar yell startled them. It was her mother. They must have gone to the market while she was away and were now quickly approaching the open door.