°˖✧8✧˖°

Ina was unsure of what to do as she came out of the garage, her mother in the kitchen washing dishes and humming an unfamiliar song. Ina could feel her heart sink to the pit of her stomach. While with her father, everything felt like a fascinating fantastical story, separate from the real world. But now she was there, standing at the edge of the kitchen hallway, her hand resting on the wall as she peered to look at her mother. Was she even allowed to call this woman her mother, she wondered?

"Hey, honey, we talked about it," Ina's father said, her mother glancing over at Ina, her eyes red and teary, her face appearing to hold back her sadness.

"Mom-"

"Oh, I was cutting onions, it's so bad for my eyes," her mother cut off, wiping away her tears with the back of her arm and attempting to avoid Ina.

Ina walked up to her, making her way behind the counter before placing her arms around her mother's waist. Ina sunk into her mother's back, taking in the smell of her peach perfume. A flood of memories entered Ina's mind. The first time Ina had ridden a bike, the first time she let go of her hand when going to school, and even the time her mother taught her how to swim. To Ina, these were all memories she had made with her mother. It tore her to pieces to think that they did not share one ounce of blood. It hurt, to think that if something were to happen to her, Ina would not be able to help her with her blood. But the smell of peaches, the tickling of her mother's short hair on Ina's nose, and the shaking of her mother's hands as they went down to hold Ina's arms all made Ina feel like it would all be okay. 

"Blood-related or not, you are my mom. You will always be my mom," Ina mumbled into her mother's back, her mom's tears falling faster than she could cover them. Ina held her mother tightly, her mother's legs giving out a bit at the sound of the word mom. Ina's father watched with a somber smile, his wife holding back whimpers of agony. He knew his wife was scared, scared to hear if Ina would reject her or accept her. But he knew better than to doubt Ina's love for her mother. He knew those two women who stood before him loved each other very much, and that they deserved to be mother and daughter, more than the woman who had abandoned Ina at their door. More than the woman who had betrayed him and his mother.

The sound of something falling made them all turn their heads, Jungha standing near the hall with his athletics bag on the floor.

"I came back to give you... Did you... The truth is finally out, I'm guessing?" Jungha asked, Ina and her parents simply going silent. Jungha could always read the atmosphere like no other, his usual charming and innocent personality changing to one of analytical scanning. 

"What? Did you think I didn't know by now? Mom kept avoiding the question when I asked her about the brown-"

He paused, looking over at Ina and her father before going quiet.

"I had seen the yellow folder in the garage with Ina's adoption paper," Jungha continued.

"You knew? For how long?" Ina's mother asked.

"Three years. I needed to make a study guide for the students I was helping in my high school and went through some of my old papers in the garage. Didn't think I'd find out?" He smirked.

Jungha walked past his father, standing next to where Ina and his mother were.

"Ina, through thick and thin you've always saved me. You've been a great older sister and to this day I have nothing but respect for you. If you'll still call me little brother- actually, with your permission, can I still call you big sister?"

Jungha had been nervous since the day he found out that Ina was not related to him. He had never been good at keeping anything from his sister, but the minute he became aware of the possibility of her leaving their family to find her real parents, he had promised to make this the only secret he would ever keep from her. It had felt like he had been carrying a thorn in his heart ever since he found out. It was hard, at first, to even look at Ina and call her sister. He knew that she didn't know, yet he felt scared, scared that she would reject him and his parents.