Chapter 11

"Everyone, listen up!" Cherie announced in the living room on a warm afternoon. Cassie sat on the sofa, holding a dozing Elijah in her arms. After finishing training with Conny, Cherie had called them together for an important announcement, something no longer rare these days. What that announcement contained, Cassie wasn't so sure. She was more nervous for the meeting she would be attending later that night.

"Out of nowhere, we've gained a very valuable spy," Cherie stated.

"Who?" Wyatt asked curiously.

"Normally we have information on all our spies that work with the Preservers, but this one is completely anonymous. They've already shared a lot of valuable information about where the Preservers are searching for human-borns.

"He, or she, I suppose, goes by 'The Tiger.' The others assembling this revolution were a bit hesitant at first when The Tiger reached out to us, but we've done a quick fact check, and everything aligns."

"They're not asking for anything in return?" Cassie wondered.

Cherie shook her head. "My guess is that this is possibly someone who was born into the Preserver ranks and wants to make a difference. They've agreed to cooperate with us as best as they can. I'm not sure how they're managing to share all this information, but it will come in handy as we continue working to overthrow the Preservers' bases. I'm sure we'll talk with the others more tonight about this, Cassie."

Cassie slowly nodded, feeling nervous just at the mention of the evening's gathering. Cherie had already insisted she give a speech, and Cassie was still at a loss for what to say.

"That's all," Francesco finished. "Just know that the process may be sped up if we continue to keep receiving this highly-detailed information."

...

Cassie smoothed out her red dress and ran a brush through her hair one last time as she gathered her things. Marc was sitting on the bed, reading to himself as Lillian entertained Elijah downstairs. Cassie took one last glance at herself in the mirror and stepped out. Marc glanced up, letting out a low whistle.

"Stop," she muttered, sitting down beside him and leaning against his chest.

"Don't be nervous," he muttered, running his fingers through her hair.

"I hate all this."

Marc chuckled. "Look at all this fame you get though," he teased. He ran a hand up and down her arm, slowly comforting her. She felt his lips gently press against the side of her face.

"You're okay taking care of Elijah the rest of the evening?" she asked.

"You know I am," Marc promised. "I think we've been getting along a little better."

Cassie grinned. "Good. I'll be back tomorrow afternoon. Think you can manage until then?"

He nodded.

Cassie turned, giving him a quick kiss before standing up.

"I'll walk you out," Marc offered, grabbing the duffel bag by the bedside.

Cassie followed him down the steps, being careful not to trip in her heels as they clacked against the tile floor with each step she took. She suddenly heard the sound of frantic footsteps of a child's feet.

"Mommy! Mommy! Where you going?" Elijah asked as he ran to the front door. He reached his hands upward, waiting to be held.

Cassie knelt down. "I told you, bud, I won't be back until tomorrow. You behave, okay?" She could already see the crocodile tears threatening to arise.