Chapter 27

"Mitsuki, Mitsuki, how many more rounds should I do?" Lily asked, pointing to the punching bag standing on the lawn.

Mitsuki rubbed her eyes, trying to comprehend what Lily had just said.. She hadn't slept well the night before, wondering how Lillian's talk with her mother had been. She was worried about her girlfriend, and her worry was beginning to affect today's training session. She wasn't showing the girls as much attention as they deserved due to her lack of sleep.

"Uh, two more," Mitsuki said, watching the young girl take off and begin practicing again.

Carolyn and Kathryn were practicing moves on each other. The girls had finally been getting the hang of things, but there was still a lot they needed to learn. They admired Mitsuki though, and she was thankful for that, even when they got into those moods where they seemed to want to do anything but learn.

"Are you okay, miss Mitsuki?" Kathryn asked quietly as she grabbed her water on the lawn next to Mitsuki.

"Fine," Mitsuki replied.

"You look really tired," Carolyn noted as she grabbed her own water bottle. "My mom used to say that it was always important to get enough sleep."

"My g—my friend got into a fight with her mom. She's been gone for a few days. I was worried about her," Mitsuki stated.

"Your friend still has a mom?!" Carolyn gasped.

"Yes, but they don't get along," Mitsuki explained. She wasn't going to get into the details of Lillian's personal life, but she didn't want the kids to think that she was just writing them off today.

"When does she come back?" Kathryn wondered.

"This evening," Mitsuki stated.

"You could just end practice early," Carolyn suggested, winking at her.

"Nice try. You two get back to practicing. We're still training regardless," Mitsuki said, standing up to continue training.

...

Mitsuki slept back on the way home, feeling Francesco's truck shudder with every crack in the road it rolled over. When the truck finally pulled into the garage, the sun was beginning to descend.

Mitsuki slowly got out of the car, wondering if Cassie and Lillian had made it back yet. She slowly opened the door, hearing chatter inside. She could recognize Cassie's voice and...Lillian's. They must've gotten back about an hour or two before her.

"Are Francesco and Mitsuki back?" Cherie called from the kitchen.

Mitsuki slowly approached, finding everyone speaking to each other with looks of concern. Had Cassie and Lillian told everyone the truth?

"What's with all the ruckus?" Francesco asked. "Aren't we going to eat?"

"I think Cassie needs to share something first," Cherie stated.

"I'm going to take a nap," Lillian announced. Mitsuki watched as Cherie patted her shoulder, approving her decision to go off.

Mitsuki remained near the edge of the kitchen and followed Lillian out into the hallway before Cherie could demand she stay and listen. Lillian said nothing but grasped onto Mitsuki's hand as they headed upstairs to speak. Lillian led her into her room and then sat on her bed, letting out a sigh. Mitsuki took a seat beside her.

"What happened? How did it go?" Mitsuki asked, tracing a hand against Lillian's cheek.

Lillian inhaled sharply and then let out a muffled cry. Mitsuki frowned and pulled Lillian close to her, feeling her shudder with each quiet sob she let out. She was afraid this would happen. Mitsuki gently ran her fingers up and down Lillian's back while pressing light kisses around her face.