Chapter 37

"Mitsuki, you can't sleep in here every night," Lillian chided at her girlfriend.

Mitsuki glanced up from Lillian's soft pillow and let out a groan. It wasn't her fault that she found Lillian's bed more comfortable and enjoyed the positioning of her room better. After all, Lillian always claimed Mitsuki's room was too much of a mess for her to sleep in.

"No one cares," Mitsuki mumbled. "We're just two friends casually sleeping in the same bed."

Lillian narrowed her eyes. "Look. I know only Cassie knows about us, but you were able to pick up on Cassie and Marc's relationship fairly easily. How do we know someone else might not catch onto ours?"

"You're so grouchy," Mitsuki complained. "Look. I'll go shut the door to my room so it looks like I'm sleeping in there."

Lillian rolled her eyes. "Fine."

Mitsuki smirked and sat up, exiting Lillian's room briefly to shut her own bedroom door. She returned moments later and crawled back in bed, laying down alongside Lillian.

"Did you know Marc and Cassie were going to get engaged?" Mitsuki wondered.

"Marc told me a while back that he was thinking of proposing. Did you?"

"I mean, I kind of figured they'd end up together. They're so much in love. It's gross," Mitsuki grumbled.

"Says the girl laying in my bed," Lillian snorted.

"It got me excited though," Mitsuki murmured quietly.

"About what?" Lillian asked, blinking her eyes.

"Like...could that be us someday? Could we be getting married like them? Do you ever think thoughts like that too? The other day, you were saying...you said something about spending a lifetime with me," Mitsuki said, reaching out to grasp her hand.

"Are you sure I didn't say that when I was drunk?" Lillian teased.

"You didn't," Mitsuki complained.

"I may have been getting too much ahead of myself. We've barely been dating two months after all. But I really like you. It was different with Irene. It didn't feel like it would really lead anywhere. But I feel like we have a strong connection."

"Are you proposing to me?" Mitsuki asked, smirking slightly.

"Don't get so cocky," Lillian said, poking her on the nose. "I did mean what I said though. I don't want to stop dating you anytime soon. I'd marry you."

"Same," Mitsuki whispered.

"But..."

"But what?" Mitsuki asked.

"I'm not like Marc and Cassie. It's a completely different circumstance for us. We haven't told anyone of our sexuality, and we haven't told anyone about our relationship to begin with. I'm just fearful for what the future holds. I'm surprised they got engaged before we reached a resolution with the Preservers."

"Do you think something bad will happen?" Mitsuki asked.

"I don't know. It's possible. Not everyone is going to come out of this alive. Are you shaking?"

Mitsuki paused, realizing her limbs were trembling. She had been thinking of when she was a teenager and her family was ripped apart. She had thankfully lived away from the Preservers for a while. She wasn't ready to face the fear of being so close to them again.

She felt Lillian slip a hand under her arm and around her waist. Mitsuki buried her head in Lillian's chest, taking deep breaths to calm herself down. Lillian placed a few kisses along her head and neck, helping Mitsuki relax.