Chapter 39

Lillian uncomfortably wandered around the house. While she was not completely averse to the idea of seeing her mother again, she would rather not engage in too much of a lengthy conversation with the woman. After all, the last time she'd run into Jane Black, she had gotten completely drunk and ended up making a fool of herself.

"Here's some water for you," Mitsuki made clear as she handed a cup to Lillian.

"Stop making me relive my mistakes," she complained as she took a sip.

"Dinner's ready!" Cherie called from the kitchen.

Lillian lowered her head as she watched Marc and Cassie descend the steps with Cassie's parents. She quietly sipped on her water, hoping Jane Black wouldn't pay her too much attention. If Cassie was telling them about her engagement, then hopefully most of the attention would be on her and Marc.

"They seem in good spirits. I thought Cassie's father was going to chew Marc out," Mitsuki whispered.

"They like Marc, I think. I don't think they like the fact that Cassie's getting married so young. If she'd been my age they might be a little more lenient," Lillian thought as she took another sip.

"Should we announce our engagement tonight then?" Mitsuki teased.

Lillian shoved her. "We're not engaged. If you keep saying stuff like that, I won't be the only one who accidentally spills our relationship."

"God, loosen up. I mean...not with alcohol, of course," Mitsuki snickered.

Lillian rolled her eyes, beginning to move toward the kitchen. She took a seat with Mitsuki at one end of the table, groaning quietly as Jane Black chose to sit directly across from her. Lillian continued to lower her head as she shoveled food onto her plate.

The chatter was mostly about Cassie and Marc's engagement, as well as the end of Cassie's training. They couldn't discuss anything too confidential with Cassie's family present, but the conversation was circulated entirely on Lillian's half-sister. She was growing somewhat tired of these family visits, wishing Cassie would visit home more often instead of having her uncle bus her family over to the cabin.

"How are you doing, Lillian?" Jane Black asked, her green eyes locking onto Lillian's. "Feeling better, I hope?"

"Yes," Lillian chirped quietly, lowering her head again.

She could see a frown appear on her mother's face, but Lillian avoided eye contact, making it clear that she wasn't in any mood for conversation. The only reason she wasn't entirely avoiding this situation altogether was because she promised Mitsuki she'd try to get along with her mother when she was visiting. Lillian knew she couldn't hide up in her room every time Jane Black strolled into the cabin.

Mitsuki wasn't bugging her to speak to her mother, but she wasn't saying anything either. The entire dinner was filled with constant chatter between a select group of people while Lillian sat quietly to the side, chewing slowly and taking the tiniest bits of food to pass time.

When Cherie announced dessert, Lillian excused herself, no longer wanting to remain in the same area as Jane Black. She was tempted she'd turn to alcohol again if she had to stay in her presence much longer. She could already feel her mother's eyes turning to her at every pause in the conversation, as if she wanted to strike up some chatter with her.

"I'm a bit tired. I'm going to get ready for bed," Lillian explained to Cherie off to the side.

"If you're uncomfortable, dear, then..."

"I'm just tired," Lillian argued, not wanting to admit that Cherie's predictions were correct. It was uncomfortable, and Lillian was sick of having to endure these forced visits.