Chapter 14

Irene kept her focus on work more than ever these days. It kept her distracted from her relationship problems with Miguel and the realization that she still had feelings for Lillian. In addition, it continued to secure her favor in Lynch's eyes. As long as she was working for the Preservers, he would hopefully be convinced of her loyalty.

That was not to say that Irene wasn't thinking of herself more these days. She was beginning to realize the path she was destined to take, but she had not taken any of the larger steps to fulfill those goals. Irene wasn't sure how long it would take, but she'd get there eventually.

Irene tried to focus on her sheet of papers as she jotted down notes on the yellow pad beside her. She listened to the faint hum of the air conditioning and ticking of the round clock in the distance. It was so eerily quiet in the office. She was beginning to miss the loud ruckus of living in the cabin with the others. The days were never as boring back then.

Work was becoming tiring, and her pen began drifting on its own, drawing lines up and down the paper as her mind wandered. She grunted, knowing she should be focusing, but she flipped to another page, allowing her hand to work again. When the sheet was filled it up, she folded it and shoved it in her pocket, staring back at her paperwork.

She wondered what Lillian was doing right now.

Irene threw her pen down and sat up. She wasn't supposed to have those thoughts. Lillian would most likely never forgive her for her betrayal. She had no way of knowing what Lillian was up to these days. And maybe she didn't want to know. Maybe...maybe she'd found someone else.

Irene's fists curled as she thought of the day Cassie had taken Elijah from her. She knew Lillian had to be a part of the operation. Surveillance footage had shown so. A part of her wished she had just gotten a glimpse of Lillian's face that day. Would it have changed anything?

Irene let out a yawn, her eyelids growing heavy. She hadn't been sleeping as much as she craved. It was difficult for her to continue sleeping in the same bed as Miguel when she dreamt of Lillian at night.

Her blue eyes peered upward at the clock. Ah, the work day had ended already.

Irene packed up her things and slipped out, uttering quiet good-byes to her coworkers. She headed down the street, watching other workers return from a long day. At this moment, Irene craved nothing more than a home-cooked meal and a nice bath. She returned to her apartment and found her mother inside, tidying the kitchen.

"How was work, dear?" her mother asked asked.

Irene set her bag down and stretched her arms. "Same as ever."

"I'm glad they weren't making you work late tonight. You were gone awfully long last night," her mother commented.

Irene rubbed her neck. "Yeah, not today. I may be working extra though for a bit. There's been a lot of incoming information about human-born whereabouts."

"Don't work yourself too hard, dear. Miguel is worried about you," her mother warned.

Irene was quiet. She wasn't sure what Miguel was concerned about anymore. She suspected he didn't care much for her either, that he was using their relationship as some kind of coping mechanism as well.

"I'm going to take a bath. It's been a long day," Irene said.

"All right. Dinner will be ready in about an hour."

Irene nodded and headed to her bedroom, drawing a warm bath for herself. She let out a sigh of content as she settled down into the warm tub, watching steam rise off of the water. She leaned her head back, trying to calm her rapid thoughts.