Chapter 19

Irene sat in the living room of the apartment, listening to the grandfather clock tick slowly as the evening dwindled on. Her parents were both out; her father working and her mother running some errands. She'd just returned from work, but as of right now, she was at a loss of what to do.

Miguel had been living with his parents for the past couple of weeks, far longer than she had expected him to. In the meantime, she had been living in a state of limbo. She went to work and ate with her parents, but they never discussed her relationship issues. She kept the engagement ring on her finger, but she wasn't sure why. After a lot of thinking, Irene decided that when she spoke to Miguel again, she was going to break off things for good.

Her parents had tried speaking to her individually in the passing weeks, stating they'd had romantic issues in the past, but Irene didn't want to hear it. She knew what she was doing was the right choice. She had not loved Miguel for a few years, and after the events that had occurred a few weeks prior, she knew she did not want to be a part of his life anymore.

What had happened to the bright-eyed kid she'd run away with at twelve-years-old? They'd been so young and so wise then, noting the injustices of the Preservers and trying to do good. But Miguel had started spewing the same propaganda his parents had taught him around the time Irene had gotten pregnant. Going back to her family had seemed logical if it was for the protection of her son. But Miguel had taken on a new personality at that time, transforming from the gentle boy she had known and loved to one that eerily resembled the supposed enemies Irene had originally run away from.

Irene remembered how they used to go down to the river and throw stones. They'd kick a soccer ball around outside and play card games at night. Though she hadn't meant to become pregnant, she was so overjoyed that Miguel was happy to be a father, and even more thrilled when he initially proposed as she thought of the life and family she'd have with him. That was gone now. That was not who Miguel was anymore.

But Lillian...Lillian was still all those things. She always had been. And Irene had turned her away because she was scared. Because being with Miguel was more reasonable. She didn't have anything to fear with him.

I'm sorry, Lillian, Irene thought quietly. No longer would she listen to the lies the Preservers spat. She deserved love, no matter who it was with.

A knock at the door caused Irene to jolt. Her limbs trembled as she moved to the door. She could already tell who was waiting outside. Her suspicions were correct as she stared up at the tall and stern individual in front of her.

"Come to grab some more things?" she asked. That had been the only time Miguel had been in the apartment, and Irene often snuck out when he did so.

"We need to talk," Miguel grunted.

"Oh, so now you want to?" Irene growled.

Miguel shut the door behind him, turning to face her. Before he could even speak, Irene slowly slid off the engagement ring and placed it her palm, shoving it toward him.

"What's this supposed to mean?" Miguel asked. She could detect the fear in his voice, even if he'd sounded so confident that their relationship was failing during their prior fight.

Irene took a deep breath. "I don't love you anymore. I haven't for a couple years, not since Elijah was taken."

Hurt flashed in Miguel's eyes. "You just pretended for that long?"

"I wasn't trying to pretend. I was trying to convince myself I was wrong, but I know that's not true now. I'm sorry. I can't do this anymore. I was using you for security all this time, it seems. This relationship isn't good for me mentally anymore. I never intended on marrying you or having a family. I think it's best we don't see each other anymore, even as friends," Irene said cooly.