Chapter 13

Mitsuki was reaching her hands forward toward Lillian, ready to grasp her face and draw her near her. She could already see the girl's glistening lips and bright green eyes. Her thumbs were just beginning to brush against Lillian's cheeks. Just a few inches more and—

A pale hand grasped Lillian away. Mitsuki stared up at the blonde figure. She had only seen one or two pictures of Irene, but she was certain this was who it was. She watched, anguished, as Lillian turned her glowing face away from Mitsuki and looked affectionately at the other girl.

Mitsuki opened her mouth to speak out, but no words came out. She tried screaming, tried begging Lillian to just look at her, but the two had already begun to interlace their hands. Their heads grew closer together until--

"Fuck," Mitsuki muttered as she awoke. The same dream had been haunting her the past couple nights. She rarely felt rested in the morning these days.

Mitsuki listened to the sound of birds chirping outside as she woke from her afternoon nap. It was Sunday, which meant another day of no training. She secretly wished she could train with the girls on the weekend. It meant more time to herself and away from Lillian.

It hurt Mitsuki that she was angered with Lillian, but she couldn't keep putting up with Lillian's obsession with Irene. She had no doubt that Lillian was in love with Irene, that perhaps they'd been something more in the past, but where did that leave Mitsuki? Did Lillian even look at her that way? She probably cared little about their fight. She seemed unfazed by their dispute.

Mitsuki could hear chatter downstairs as Cherie, Francesco, and Cassie returned home after their house party. Mitsuki shoved her pillow over her head, trying to block out the sound, but it was no use. She wasn't going to fall asleep anytime soon.

She sat up instead, staring blankly at her door. A part of her hoped, prayed, that Lillian would walk through it, but why did she want her to? All she was going to do was talk about Irene again, the same Irene who had backstabbed everyone, including Lillian. Mitsuki couldn't understand why Lillian would care for someone like that when she was right here, having every intention to love and protect Lillian as best as she could.

Mitsuki groaned, growing anxious. Unlike the others in the house, she hadn't managed to form very close bonds, but she was desperate to talk to someone. There was Wyatt, but he wouldn't want to hear her romance troubles. She heard Cassie muttering in the hall and suddenly lit up with an idea. Mitsuki did know Cassie.

Slowly, Mitsuki opened her door, noticing the door to Lillian's was shut. She breathed in relief and headed down the hall to Cassie and Marc's bedroom. She could hear Marc's voice downstairs, which thankfully meant that Cassie would be alone to talk to.

Mitsuki took a deep breath and quietly knocked her fist against Cassie's door.

"Come in!" a friendly voice answered.

Mitsuki slowly opened the door. Cassie glanced up, probably expecting Marc, but her eyes fell on Mitsuki with confusion.

"Um, hi," Mitsuki said.

"Hi," Cassie replied, obviously trying her best not to sound confused with Mitsuki's unexpected presence.

"Er, how was the party?"

Cassie shrugged. "Fine. People liked talking to me, and I think they liked me, but my speech was garbage. I have a feeling you didn't come in here for that though. What's up?"

"Uh, is Marc coming back up here? I can leave..."

"No, he's watching Elijah downstairs. What do you need?"