Chapter 43

Lillian rubbed her healing bruise on her arm as she put folded her fresh laundry. It was nice to be back comfortably living at the cabin after the stress of battle. She had taken an extra-long shower as soon as she'd gotten back and slept for fifteen hours.

The whole household was in recovery now. Lillian was a bit more eager to get back into routine than the others, it seemed. Though that was most likely because she was bored and needed something to occupy her time.

The leaves were turning an even deeper red as October continued. She could see them gently falling off the branches with a slight gaze out her window.

Lillian hummed to herself quietly, trying to lighten her mood and do away with the stress that had come with their mission. They had been successful, but their success also meant a full-scale attack was soon in the works. Cherie was already predicting it for the new year.

Lillian slammed her dresser cabinet shut, trying to focus on folding laundry instead of engaging in a dangerous battle. She paused, hearing the sound of a door swinging open and shy footsteps. A shadow was cast over her room as someone stood in the doorway.

Lillian spun around, finding Mitsuki leaning against her doorframe in a sleeping gown, looking like she had just woken up.

"Mitsuki, you're supposed to be in bed resting," Lillian hissed, standing up.

Mitsuki rubbed her head, slightly moving the bandage that had been wrapped around it. "God, lower your voice. I have a killer headache."

"Well, at least you're sounding like yourself," Lillian muttered. She stepped forward and engulfed her girlfriend in her arms. Mitsuki sunk her head into Lillian's shoulder and grasped her tightly. They stood in silence for a few moments, admiring each other's presence.

Slowly, Lillian pulled away and reached an arm out for Mitsuki to grab onto. "Let me escort you back to your room then."

Mitsuki grumbled and grabbed on. Lillian walked her back to her bed and watched as Mitsuki slowly crawled into it. She quietly shut the door to Mitsuki's room and pulled up a chair to her bedside.

Mitsuki had been taken to the nearby infirmary run by Dr. Bradford as soon as the medics were finished treating her wounds. After regaining consciousness, Dr. Bradford declared it was a concussion. She'd been at the clinic a few days before he allowed her to come back to the cabin. Even then, Mitsuki had spent the past few days sleeping. This was the first time Mitsuki was acting like herself.

"Why didn't you come visit me in the infirmary?" Mitsuki mumbled.

Lillian blinked. "Dumbass. I was there."

"What?"

"You were sleeping half the time or too out of it to say much. I brought you home from the infirmary with Cherie. Don't you remember?"

She watched Mitsuki's cheeks redden. "I guess I don't."

"I'm still pissed at you," Lillian grumbled.

"For what? Not remembering? That wasn't really my fault, was it?"

"For getting hurt!" Lillian complained. "I thought you died at first."

"Don't worry about me. I'm tough as nails," Mitsuki joked, letting out a moan due to her throbbing head.

"Is the pain getting any better?" Lillian asked.

"Well, I can talk a bit now. It doesn't hurt my head to hear just a whisper. But I still can't do shit. I can't exercise, can't watch T.V., can't even read."