Chapter 25

Lillian clutched her things as she anxiously waited for Cassie by the doors of the cabin. Though they had not even begun the trip to Cassie's family's house, Lillian already felt like she was not going to keep down her morning breakfast. She took in deep breaths and shut her eyes, knowing the anxiety would only grow the nearer they got. If she could not calm herself now, then she was not sure how she would react once she finally reached Cassie's home.

"You're not going to pass out, are you?" came the cocky voice of her girlfriend.

Lillian glanced up at Mitsuki. They'd already spoken a little in the morning, but she supposed it was only natural for Mitsuki to wish her off as well.

"It'll be okay," Mitsuki said, wrapping her arms around Lillian.

Lillian leaned her head into Mitsuki's hair, trying to stop her trembling limbs. She wished she could kiss Mitsuki, but the chances were too high that someone would witness the act.

At the sound of footsteps, Lillian quickly broke apart from Mitsuki and watched Cassie descending the steps, Marc following her behind with her luggage. She could already hear the motor running of Cassie's uncle's car outside.

"You'll be back tomorrow evening?" Marc asked.

Cassie slowly nodded.

Lillian awkwardly clutched her things as Marc quickly kissed Cassie before opening up the door for the both of them. She wished she could kiss Mitsuki good-bye. She supposed a spare moment of eye contact and a weak smile would have to be enough.

Lillian threw her luggage in the back of John's truck. She climbed into the backseat, not expecting Cassie to join her, but her newly-found sister did all the same.

"I'm going to throw up," Lillian muttered.

"Just calm down," Cassie whispered, reaching over to squeeze her hand.

"I think your family will enjoy a surprise visit," John said from the front as he began steering away from the cabin, clearly unaware of what was to prevail at the house. Lillian glanced out the window as the cabin faded, wondering how different her life might be when she returned.

"I'm not going for a fun visit," Cassie told her uncle.

"And what is it that you're visiting for?"

"You'll find out soon enough," Cassie grumbled, leaning her head back against the headrest. Lillian did the same, trying to calm her rapid heartbeat and nauseous stomach.

Though it appeared Cassie had dozed off about a half hour into the trip, Lillian couldn't do so. She wished she was back at the cabin snuggling with Mitsuki or distracting herself by helping Cherie with business. The brunette let out a deep sigh. She knew she had to do this deep down. She still wasn't sure what she'd say to her mother when it happened, but at least she was finally facing her fear after two years.

Lillian was nearly calm until they began entering into a suburban area. She watched Cassie slowly stir and rolled down the window, trying to get some air into her face. Lillian was afraid she'd throw up all over the back of John's car.

Lillian flinched as Cassie reached for her hand and squeezed it once more. Lillian turned, noticing the softness in Cassie's eyes. She was giving her a look of reassurance.

When John finally did pull up into the driveway, Lillian shakily exited. She had not visited the house since that one December that they'd all done Christmas activities together. Life had been much different then. Lillian slowly gathered her things from the trunk and began heading up the porch with Cassie, trying not to cry from the stress.