Chapter 41

Irene sat in her apartment, furiously typing in code on her computer as she sent out last minute instructions to her allies for the day ahead. A flickering kitchen light and cup of coffee kept her awake as she typed. Her heart raced thinking about what events would transpire. How would Lynch react to such a loss?

Irene grinned slightly, typing the last of her messages before sending them out. The tech people had finally gotten her a sufficient laptop and had taught her all she needed to know about transpiring messages. She was excited to continue to expand her spying work in the coming months now that she knew how to carefully send information.

Irene glanced up at the clock, cruelly reminded that she would have to head to work in a few hours. She wished she could meet up with the allies and read updates, but if she was to please Lynch, this was how it had to be.

Irene had heard Cassie was apparently going to be part of the mission for publicity purposes, just as Irene expected her to be. That made her wonder if the others would be there as well, including Lillian. She prayed deep down the operation would go smoothly. They were this close to breaking free from Lynch and his corrupt ideals. This would be a major stepping stone in ending his reign.

Irene shut her laptop and washed her coffee cup out in the sink before heading back into her bedroom to change. She sighed as she ran a brush through her hair and put on a fresh clothes. Irene leaned forward into the mirror as she applied her make-up, desperately wishing she could just stay curled up in bed all day.

Irene grabbed her things, about ready to head out the door when her landline began to ring. She paused and picked it up.

"Hello?"

"Oh, Irene, this is Susan from the front desk," her secretary said.

"Is everything okay?" Irene wondered, unaware they even had her new number after moving out of her parents' place. She supposed it had been provided to them with the move. "I'm just about to head out."

"That's what I'm calling you about. Don't bother coming here first. Lynch just called. He wanted to speak to you. You can head over to work after," Susan explained.

Irene paused, feeling her heart begin to race. Was it just coincidental that Lynch happened to request her the day of their operation? Susan spoke about it so nonchalantly, as if it wasn't clear to her that Irene would probably not show up to work in the afternoon.

"What did he call about?" she asked. "Why didn't he call me here?"

"He just wanted to talk to you. It didn't sound like anything serious. I think he thought you came in a bit earlier, like you normally do. Said you were such a hard worker. Anyway, I'll take care of things until then."

"O-Okay. See you soon," she said, shaking as she hung up the phone. Irene buried her face into her hands. Should she run away now? Or risk being killed about twenty minutes from now? She paced around her apartment for a few minutes. She still didn't know what Lynch wanted to talk about it. It may have been something completely irrelevant. The longer she kept him waiting, the more upset he might be.

Irene took a deep breath and stepped outside, shading her eyes from the sunlight. She knew the route to Lynch's office too well and held her breath as she stepped into the building in the center of headquarters. Permission had already been given for her to access Lynch's floor. He had clearly been waiting for her.

Irene stepped into the elevator, her life flashing before her eyes. She had to keep it together. If Lynch truly didn't suspect a thing, she might easily raise his suspicions by acting so nervous. Worst came to worst, she'd just try to take him out here and now.